Start problems with 1976 25hp Evinrude

swampdogz

Recruit
I bought this engine a few weeks ago. It started the first time and it seemed to run good a few times out. Last weekend I forgot to open the vent on the gas tank and after idling for a bit at the dock it died, smelling and acting like it had flooded, and at home the plugs were a bit wet. <br />After sitting for 2 days it turned over/caught (meaning the plugs fired once or twice when I pulled) but it didnt stay running, then wouldnt even catch when I pulled again and again.<br />Last night I took it to the lake and tried the motor again and again, no luck. After fishing off of the trolling motor for an hour I had an idea and disconnected the fuel line from the tank, choked the engine and pulled. It ran for a few seconds before dying but wouldnt catch start back up after plugging in the fuel line.<br />Again today after sitting since last night it caught the first time but didnt stay running.<br /><br />Any ideas?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Start problems with 1976 25hp Evinrude

I would first do a spark test to eliminate that. Do a search at the top of the page for a homemade spark tester. If you are getting a nice bright blue spark then next you check fuel. If your carb hasn't been rebuilt in the last two years get at kit from the dealer (about 20.00)and replace the parts that pertain to your engine. Make sure that you clean out all the passageways with carb cleaner and blow everything out well with compressed air. If you are scared to do this then go to your library and see if they have a manual that will walk you through it or better yet get an OEM manual that is specific to your engine. You won't spend better money than that.