New boat question....

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh great guru's... I have a question on my new boat. <br /><br />It's weird... I took it out today and when I bank left it hops on the water, but when I bank right it is fine. I took it back to the marine dealer, and they put another prop on it saying that was the problem. Is it???? That just does not sound right, and it happens no matter what speed I go.<br /><br />Also, whether it is trimmed up or down, when I plane out, it sounds as if it is shifting gears. Now I know better than that, but is does sound like that...<br /><br />Am I retarded cause I have been use to the old boat, and I cannot figure out the new boat??

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: New boat question....

The sound of shifting gears could be a vented prop grabbing at a certain point during acceleration...or a ventilating prop for other reasons, of which could be a transducer or speed sensor mounted too close to center on the starboard side.<br />Vented props will do some funny things sometimes....I've found some strange things testing the number of props that I do.<br />What prop DID you have and what did they replace it with?<br />I'll be in K.C. for the next 3 days...I'd take a look if you want....I'm in Topeka right now, but will be going on to K.C. tomorrow.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the prop is ventilating to me also. You are probably trimmed out too far when turning and in rough water this will also be evident. Always -- hand on throttle, finger on trim button.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure walleyehed... Call me on my cell, It is <br />816-309-4370. Not sure if you know the area, but I live in the northland area. I will be going to the lake Friday night, and be back Saturday afternoon if that is OK with you. I will around all day Friday, so please call! Thanks...<br /><br />Anyway guys... I it came with a 21 pitch prop, and they replced it with a 21, but with more cup. It does have the ventilation holes in the prop too. I have tried trimming up and down when in a turn, so I sure I'm doing it right. The water at the time was early morning and the water was smooth.<br /><br />Maybe I'm just tripping cause I'm used to the old boat! It did just fine in the turns.

walleyehed

Admiral

Stumpys, my wife has called and my 3ry old is having breathing problems and is in the E.R. as we speak...needless to say I'm heading home in about 30 minutes, and not looking fwd to the 7hr drive....I apologize, and I will get back to you as soon as I can and maybe offer some help...Please forgive me...I was in hopes of meeting with you.<br />Kenny

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Is the boat loaded level?If you let go the steering wheel for a second,does the boat pull the the left or right when under cruise speed?

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Kenny, I understand... The dealership put another prop on it and i took it out this morning. Seems to be fine now... It sounds better, turns better, and I have an excellent hole shot The only thing I lost was about 5 mph on the top end. Both props are 21 pitch, but I think this one they put on had more cup.<br /><br />Thanks eveyone...