Boat Value question

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at buying a boat from someone I know. I forget the brand of boat but it's a 14' fiberglass trihull with a 75HP Chrysler motor (I belive the boat and motor were made in 1983).<br /><br />The boat is in great shape and all the interior was recently redone using quality material. The motor runs great and has even compression accross all 3 cylinders. I've also seen the motor with the head off and there is not even a hint of damage inside. I know the person I'm buying it from and he's the person who did all the work. I know the work he does is good (If he can't do it right he won't do it) and that the boat is solid and reliable. <br /><br />He's asking $3000 for the boat and the only thing that concerns me is the value of the motor and the ability to repair it in the future when something does break. (I know it's going to happen some time)<br /><br />Now assuming everything on the boat is in exelant condition, is this worth $3000?

Dyna

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Value question

Personally I wouldnt pay $3000 for that boat. I only paid $2200 for my 1984 16' Open bow with a 140hp merc I/O in excellent condition.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

A picture would help in evaluating the boat/motor combination.<br /><br />Primary concern is the motor, as you have mentioned. The Chrysler brand is known to have a high probability of problems especially considering its age. Availability of parts could be an issue. This should be reflected in the price you pay.<br /><br />Two additional ways to better judge its value is to ensure you take the opportunty to water test the boat before purchase, and it might be wise to spend a few dollars for a proper marine survey.<br /><br />I did not follow any of my own advice, and if you look at the link in my signature you'll better understand why I make those recommendations. :)<br /><br />You may find that the boat & motor are just like new and will give you many years of uneventful boating. In the end, and items value depends a lot of what it is worth to you.<br /><br />Let's see them pics!

BillP

Captain

A 1983 boat in Wisconsin is likely to be mint compared to the same one in Florida but here's my .02. The boat and trailer here would be worth $500 in good useable condition without motor. The motor MIGHT get $150 with controls but it wouldn't sell fast. The rig in A1 excellent condition would have a $1500 price tag if sitting on a dealer's boat lot.<br /><br />It may be a good idea to check around before buying. You may find a lot more boat for $3000.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NICE job AMD. Looks like you do good work. How she comin along these days since you've replaced the rings on the pistons? Compression back to normal?

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been on the lake with the boat in the past. I just wasn't the one driving. The boat starts and runs perfect and the ride is great. Trims out perfect and gives a smooth ride even in choppy water.<br /><br />I have another boat that I'm looking at and I really hope that one works out. This one is a 91' or 92' Glasstron with 115 HP outboard. They guy is asking $1700 for it. From what I'v found on the intenet the boat is worth closer to $3000 assuming it's in good shape. Unfortuanly someon else got to the boat first so I have to wait and see if they buy it.<br /><br />I'm going to do some looking around today and see what other options I can come up with too.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

That second boat sounds like a good deal.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

For what it is worth (tisk - tisk) - I doubt that the Chrysler has any value or very little if it does. On the boat would you pay $3,000.00 for a 23 year old 14' boat? - - I hope not. That rig might bring $6-800 here with a trailer. I'm with BillP.<br /><br />In a way I feel sorry for the seller. Many sellers of "stuff" either get an emotional attachment to whatever they are selling or have put a lot of money into their "stuff" and think they can get all their money out with little regard to what a reasonably knowledgeable buyer would pay.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

My father purchased a 14 foot fiberglass tri-hull fishing boat & trailer with a 50hp Chrysler motor...the whole setup was probably about a 1980 model but I'm not exactly certain. It ran beautiful (still does) and the boat is solid and needed no work. He paid $800 2 years ago for it near Chicago, IL. He felt he got an extremely good deal, and I've since seen similar rigs for sale in the $1000 to $1,500 range so I tend to agree with him, so obviously that $3K price you're being quoted sounds pretty steep to me.

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well... The Glasstron ended up being sold to the first person that was looking at it, so I missed out on that deal. <br /><br />The first boat (the 14') I turned down and he sold it to someone else (I think he got the $3000 he was asking for it)<br /><br />What I'm currently looking at is a '78 (possibly a 79'. The guy didn't have the paperwork with him when I talked to him and he couldn't remember the exact year) 19' Yar-Craft with an 898 Mercuiser. The appolustry is a little worn and faded but still in good shape. The motor has less then 30 hours on it. He was asking $3,600 and I got him to agree to $3000. <br /><br />I plan on putting it in the water this next week, when I can get together with the current owner, and taking it for a quick run to make sure everything works. Assuming everything runs the way I expect it to I'll be buying this one.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

And the age of the engine is????<br /><br />If it is a 1978 or 79 (even if only 30 hours) best set aside a pile of bucks for needed maintenance.

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor that is currently in the boat was put only a few years ago. What exactly they replaced it with I don't know but the GM 305 small block hasn't changed much over the years. As far as the intake, exaust, and other stuff needed for this to work in a boat is the same or similar to what was on the original motor