Good Trade???

baalthazaar

Cadet
I just traded a computer for a 1972 21 foot Starcraft Aluminum Deep-V w/a running 73 100hp evinrude. I need to gut the inside and replace all the rotted wood, cables controls, etc.. The hull looks good but i think i will seal up the inside hull with skid-no-more from evercoat. Its even on its own trailer (that needs work too). Did I get the better part of the deal?? How good is starcraft? Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good Trade???

Ahoy, Erik!<br /><br />Boy, anything you can trade one of these miserable leading-edge-monday-obsolete-by-friday pieces of junk for is a good deal in my book.<br /><br />That boat may be 30 years old and tattered, but it is still useful. Try that with a 3 year old 'puter.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

D

DJ

Erik,<br /><br />Starcrafts were/are good boats. The 21 Super Sports (bowrider) and Holidays (closed bow) had nice riding hulls.<br /><br />You've got the right idea. Once you've got it gutted you can seal all the rivets inside with "Gluv It". Or what you are proposing will work.<br /><br />Have fun. Ditto on the trade. You got the bargain!

baalthazaar

Cadet

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. But what is gluv it? i can't seem to find it on the internet/who makes it and is it expensive? I'm kind of on the one sheet of wood per paycheck level here. the rest is just sweat. and i had the year wrong its a 73 but i don't know what model. it doesnt have a cabin/just the wheel on the right side and a winshield across the front and you can crawl into the bow about 4 feet. TY

baalthazaar

Cadet

Compaq Deskpro Slimline/ Pentium 3 500Mhz/128Mb ram/6.2GB HD/voodoo 4 32mb video/56k modem/kb speaker mouse joystick and wheel/ Win98se/and lots of adobe software. I delivered the computer and he delivered the boat(my hitch gets here in the mail next week)

495v

Chief Petty Officer

You got a hell of a deal, Erik. That machine is old and you could find an equivalent to it on ebay for about $400. Your boat on the other hand, will be worth ten times that after a little TLC. The outboard alone is worth more than the outdated machine. Good deal!!!!

D

DJ

Erik,<br /><br />"Gluv-It" is available at marine stores. Check out this website. www.westmarine.com. <br /><br />I am doing my aluminum boat restoration (83 Sea Nymph-16 foot) at about the same pace you are. Gluv It sells for about $35.00/quart. A quart will do your whole boat.

baalthazaar

Cadet

Thanks, I think I'm going to enjoy bringing this boat back to life. The hull seems like a real stable design and i'm going to redo it with marine ply and no skid epoxie for long life and hard use. Does it significantly change the performance or safety of the boat if i want to make it a cuddy or a center console? Advice is well appreciated. Thank you. PS I'm a dsl/Computer tech by trade/this is gonna be fun

D

DJ

Erik,<br /><br />That hull was also available-later as a cuddy (Islander & Cheiftain) and a center console. I do not recall the name of the center console series. They were/are still very popular on the Great Lakes.<br /><br />If you go center console, you probably won't be able to make it self bailing. The factory centers were not self bailing. I'm considering doing the same thing to my project.

D

DJ

Erik,<br /><br />In essence, the boat does not have a bilge area that water from the deck(s) can get into easily. Usually, self bailers will have holes in the transom right at the level of the floor (deck) that the water will run out. Of course these holes are above the waterline. The holes are usually fitted with a rubber flappers (scuppers) that keep following seas from rushing in.<br /><br />Most self bailers are fiberglass. The reason being is that it is relatively easy to make the floor or deck sealed to the transom and sides. In short, you have a boat within a boat. It can be done on an AL boat, but you will need to seal the floor to the sides and the transom. That is what I have been noodling over on mine. Do I, or don't I want to go through all that hassle.<br /><br />Of course, there is nothing wrong with a non-self bailing center console either. There are alot of them out there.

baalthazaar

Cadet

djohns19, Thanks for the lesson, in the stern of the boat there is already a recessed area that has twin bilge pumps and floats already mounted. so a non self bailing center console still seems like a good idea. Do you know of any plans to make a center console unit that would fit?<br />I going to be starting from a bare shell. so i can make it any style/ cuddy/bowrider/ or center console/ I can't decide. Thank you for for input.

D

DJ

Erik,<br /><br />I've made center consoles in the past and I've purchased one pre made.<br /><br />That's one of the things I'm thinking about. What do I want to do. I'm in the process of looking for a used one.<br /><br />I believe you are in Florida. They should be relatively easy to find there.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Erik should have kept the computer and traded the wife n kids for the boat :D