Gel coat crack in splash well -Skeeter boat

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at purchasing a 1996 Skeeter ZX180(18 foot)bass boat. I like the boat but there is a crack in the gelcoat inside the splashwell where it meets the transom. Transom feels very solid but I am wondering if water is getting on the wood inside transom that could cause me problems in the future. There are no cracks in exterior hull gelcoat (just inside spashwell). Should I be concerned? Any help would be great!

lakerunner

Seaman
Re: Gel coat crack in splash well -Skeeter boat

Hay digdug<br /><br />How did the jack plate work out?

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Lakerunner, the jackplate works well on my stratos 270. The boat is more efficient. I can get the bow up a little more at lower speeds and reduce drag. With just me in the boat my speedometer shows 58-59 mph at 5900 rpm at WOT. Prop is a 13.25 X 20 (turbo/stilletto design). How do you have your boat set up? Is your performance similar to this?

lakerunner

Seaman

Sorry for the delay digdug:<br /><br />I haven't had time to install the jack plate and most of the time the boat is fully loaded with 36 gals of fuel 3 to 4 people ice chest and full live wells. With this load @wot the motors a 5900 rpm the speedo reads 47 mph the prop is a Raker 13 1/2 X 20. she isn't a rocket out the hole but makes up for it with a good range and cruise speed 35-40 mph at 4000-4500 rpm's. I'm not sure how accurate the speedometer is. I'm hoping the jackplate may give me a little better hole shot really do not what to drop down to a 19.<br /><br />p.s. pull one of the mounting bolts out of the transome and see/feel if theres any rot or dampnest in it.

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lakerunner, the jackplate did help my holeshot a little. Bow never gets real high when taking off. I like this boat but keep getting wet if water is choppy. Thinking of getting a little bigger boat and going to v6 motor. Not sure yet. Considering skeeter or procraft.