Removal of V4 Tilt/Trim

I am in the process of changing out my tilt/trim for my 82 115 Evinrude. This forum has been a big help, and my new tilt/trim should be arriving tomorrow. I have gotten the six bolts off of the stern bracket with the help of PB blaster and a blowtorch. Now I am having trouble getting the large pin out of the ram on the top. I have tried the blowtorch and PB blaster but cannot get it to budge at all. Any suggestions?<br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removal of V4 Tilt/Trim

Get a bigger hammer..... :D :D Sorry Glass....couldn't resist.<br /><br />Keep working at it with blaster and heat. I got no new ideas....just the old one....persistance. Stuck on the outsides? If you can get both sides heated up at the same time, might be enough to get it out.

Walker

Captain

Dumb question. Did you remove the snap rings??

Yes, I removed the snap rings. I guess I will just soak it good with PB blaster for the next two days and heat it up on Saturday and bang the hell out of it with a hammer. I will let you know the outcome.<br />Thanks

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Why not take just the side bracket off where the steering bar goes into then get acess to the trim motor, this way you do not have to remove the pin, i have a 1986 110 have done this 3 times already it works!

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glass, what kind of torch are you using? The little propane homeowner type won't do it. I tried. I've heard you can put a MAP bottle on one and that will do it. I ended up using an Acetylene rig. That worked like a charm. I went back and forth from one side to the other heating the metal around the pin about 4 times and the pin moved on the first lick. Before that I used that propane torch for a couple hours and I was wailing on the pin with a 2 lb hammer and a drift. That thing would not budge.

Walker

Captain

Taking the brackets apart works on the bottom pin but not the top and yes you can use a Mapp bottle for a much hotter torch.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

posted 22 March, 2006 08:23 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I just finished doing this on the Old 92 V8 Johnson.<br />Two days later I have two broken drift pins and one broken easy out. Plus a bandaged thumb.<br />Items needed.<br />1.Hi temp propane torch, and use Mapp gas.<br />2. 1/2 inch drill and assorted bits. <br />(your gonna ruin a few)<br />3. A B.F.H. and a regular hammer.<br />4. Assorted length Drift pins.<br />5. Be nice to have a (not to bright friend) hold the Drift pin whilst you whack it.<br /><br />Drill a hole in the pin so you don't mushroom it over while hitting you friends thumb with the BFH.<br />Use the high temp torch to heat the aluminum surrounds both sides of the pin to allow the rusted pin enough room to move while you wail on it. Not to worry you will not feel a thing as you miss and smack your friend thumb instead of you own. <br />The hardest part is realizing you gotta really smack it HARD to get it to budge at all, even with the heat.<br /><br />Hope this helps! If you can afford to pay someone to do it… it might be a good idea. LOL

Thanks for all the tips. I have been using a regular homeowner type propane torch. I actually got mine to move but now I have mushroomed the tip of the pin, so it wont go through the hole all the way. I am going to grind the ends of the pin down with a grinding wheel and try to knock it out. It sucks being a poor man who likes boating.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the club!!<br /> Do you think you could go to the other side and start over there instead of grinding... once you get it moving that's 9/10th of the way there. I didn't get mine to move for almost a day and a half...LOL<br /><br /> Best of luck let us know how it turns out.

I went and bought some mapp gas to heat it up with. I grinded the mushroom ends on the pin back to where they should be with a drimmel tool. I drilled a hole in the middle to hold my punch out in place when I bang on it with the hammer. I can only get it to move far enough to where it is even with the stern bracket. Should I have someone hold constant heat to it while I hit it with the hammer? I am going to buy BIG hammer tomorrow, bang out my frustrations. LOL

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

LOL!!!!! Welcome to the world Glass!!!!<br /><br />Seriously...(did I spell that right?)...yeah...get someone to hold the heat on it while you do the "tapping". You will have a better chance of getting the pin out if you drive it while it's hot. Man! I about peed my pants about the bigger hammer!!!

ajmilkfarm

Cadet

I've been trying for days to get the lower pin out of my 225 1995 Johnson Ocean Pro. The upper pin came out. The lower pin is frozen in the unit itself not in the aluminum mounting bracket. I have used map gas , but will try acetylne tomorrow. Someone suggested to disconnect steering from port side and remove mounting bracket. Unit should come right out then. Question is where do I lift the engine to hold it before I take off bracket.
There are threaded holes in top of powerhead.
biga