Johnson 120 HP V4 water leak

PMeade

Recruit
Just started my engine after a couple of years of storage and noted a couple of leaks where the powerhead(?) mates to the drive unit in the rear(?). It does not leak with the engine not running and the hose attached and turned on, only when running. The engine is an early 80's version. I seem to remember it being refered to as a cross loop model? I have been searching deligently to find the maintenance manuals I purchased years ago to determine what seal has gone south. Could someone enlighten me in the mean time? Thanks in advance<br /><br />Paul

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 120 HP V4 water leak

Paul - That engine is referred to as a cross flow. More recent designs are loopers.<br /><br />On the leak (not sure you have a leak) - could you post some pictures? There are a couple of holes in the mid section just below the powerhead at the rear the will spit water when the engine is run at low rpm. Water will flow when the engine is up to speed. This is normal.

PMeade

Recruit
Re: Johnson 120 HP V4 water leak

Thanks for the response SoLittle. I will take some pics over the weekend and then figure out how to post them. :) This is spitting out of a seam and has never done it in the past. This is on the main joint where the power head attaches to the drive unit (?). It is located at the very bottom of the main powerhead housing. I'll get the pics.<br /><br />Paul