V6 150hp evinrude, No Fuel Under Load.

garyadiletto

Recruit
1987 150hp evinrude w/vro, In Neutral It's Fine. In the Water In Forward or Reverse, If I Throttle It Up It Dies, No Fuel, If I Hold The Choke On It Fly's Right Off. Starving For Fuel. What I've Done So Far For This, New Fuel Tank, New Fuel Line, Rebuilt The 3 Carbs, & New Complete Fuel Pump. I'm Thinkning Now Maybe It's Timing, Compression, Or Ignition ? Any Comments ?

ob

Admiral
Re: V6 150hp evinrude, No Fuel Under Load.

Once it flys right off will the engine run at or near speed without pushing in on the key primer?If not,then you have a fuel restriction.Likely in one or more of the carburetors.The key primer solenoid valve gets its supply of fuel mix from the vro pump and delivers it after the carburetors into the intake chamber.<br /><br />If the engine will maintain speed once you've coaxed it with the key primer,your problem may be a case of the carburetor linkage not properly synched.<br /><br />Shine some light on this first before we try to chase down a possible ignition issue.

garyadiletto

Recruit

Once it flys off, if I release the choke it stalls right away. The buzzer goes off at control, while buzzing, I unplugged the temp sensors in the head one by one, that did not stop the buzzing. The temp of engine, was running hot before I changed the water pump & thermostat's,, they were gone, now the heads are cool while running. This morning I will do a compression check and post that. Oh, the VRO is disconnected, new fuel/oil pump, oil side plugged off, 2 wires going to oil tank disconnected.

muchco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The alarm going off is most likley the vacuum switch on the fuel system indicating low fuel pressure. I would look for a fuel restriction between the fuel supply and fuel pump. The vacuum switch is to warn of low fuel pressure to avoid leaning out the engine at high speed. I have a 1987 150XP and had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty primer bulb. Good luck!

garyadiletto

Recruit

Solved. Problem, my mechanic friend did not remove the jets from the carb's. I bought the jet screwdriver from the dealer, removed the jets, first carb fine, 2nd carb fine, and 3rd carb, plugged jets on both sides. Went out for a 5 hour ride around George's Island, the boat runs great, runs cool ! Thanks For All The Help And Leads, Cause I Was Going To Buy A New Ignition System!