what year?? and impeller check?

fishngal23

Seaman Apprentice
I got a evinrude motor from this guy for 100 bucks. it starts up and runs real nice and looks nice. its an old motor i know i would guess 60-70's the serial number is 7516-21661 what year and how many hp.? also i am having trouble getting to the impeller to see if it is in good shape. Do these evinrude motors have a pee stream like mercurys do? any help would be great thanks to all.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: what year?? and impeller check?

That's a 1954 7.5hp you have there. On that one you have to remove the powerhead in it's entirety to acess the shift linkage which is directly underneath it. Then the driveshaft will have to be turned until the pin through it fits through the slot in the midsection. That pin holds the components of the bottom crank seal in place.<br /><br />All cooling water exits the large hole on the back of the engine. Water should spurt/gush from it. Muffs do not fit these outboards. When operating in a bucket, the water line must come up above the seam between the mid-section and the lower unit. in '54 they weren't self-priming.<br /><br />I wouldn't bother inspecting the impeller. Just replace it with a new one. Then replace it every few seasons. Parts are available both OEM and aftermarket.<br />Fuel/oil mix is 24:1 using 87 octane gas and TC-W3 outboard oil. Plugs are Champion J6C (replaces old J6J) gapped at .030". These engines had a bit of a reputation for thowing rods when abused. Go no leaner than that fuel/oil mix and never rev the engine up in neutral and you won't have a problem with that.<br />Good link:<br /> http://www.knology.net/~tombeam/originalliterature.html