1995 88 SPL Evinrude NO spark, something dumb?

IL GLASTRON

Cadet
I have a 1995 Glastron boat with a 1995 Evinrude 88 spl On the back (I guess it’s the same as the 90hp)<br /><br />Just bought the boat a few weeks ago. When I bought it, it started right up, no issues, ran it once after that and it ran fine (under powered for the boat but it runs good)<br /><br />Then we changed the plugs and some other maintenance items on it (lower lube etc) and went to put it in on sat for a ride. It started for about 5-10 seconds then quit and would not start again.<br /><br />I have 120 lbs in each cylinder (4 cyl)<br />All cylinders are getting gas<br />None of the plugs are getting spark.<br /><br />We put the "original" plugs back in w/ no luck. Is it possible that the plugs I put in did something. The were not champion, but was the DENSO version of the (I assume) correct plug.<br /><br />Everything ran FINE until we changed plugs. Could the wrong plugs blow or short something out. If so what? And where do I start looking? <br /><br />There is a 20 amp fuse in the motor I checked..its good, all fuses in boat are good.. <br /><br />Suggestions?

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 88 SPL Evinrude NO spark, something dumb?

Is the safety lanyard for the kill switch in?<br />A ground on the black/yellow kill switch wire?

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Yes, safety is in we even disconnected the wires from the switch and put a jumper on them in hops of a bad switch..<br /><br />unless its the otherway around? and I did not want to connect them.. -

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

For reference....<br />Motor and boat in question... This was just a few days ago!! Damn thing.<br /><br />
DSC00901.JPG
<br /><br /><br />
IMG_1075.JPG

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

So are you saying you disconnected the kill switch and you still got no spark?

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's the other way around. Remove the jumper. The kill switch should be normally open.<br />Grounding the kill switch wire "kills" the spark.

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

so you are saying it is normall OPEN (wires not touching) lol Okay, i will simply unplug it and see if i get any luck. <br /><br />I dont think thats the problem.<br /><br />Can putting the wrong plugs in a motor dammage anything from an electrical standpoint?

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think the wrong plugs could damage anything electrical, but I'm not positive. They can do major harm to a motor if they are the wrong lenght or heat range.<br />After removing the jumper check the kill wire for resistance to ground, it should be open with the key in the run position. <br />Also check the ignition switch as a source of a short to ground.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets seperate the boat harness and wiring from the motor. That way we know which direction to travel. <br /><br />Disconnect the red cannon plug at the motor. That's the main plug from the boat harness to the motor harness. Now check spark. If you now have spark, the problem is forward of the engine wiring harness. If you still don't ahve spark, the problem is on the motor.<br /><br />If you try to start the motor with the harness unplugged you will have no way to shut it off so be careful. I'd strongly suggest to simply check spark rather than trying to start it.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was just going to edit my post with the same, thanks Dh!<br />I had a brain fart, LOL.

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Sounds like a plan. This may sound dumb....<br /> Any suggestions as to how to check for spark w/o cranking it?<br /><br />I was using the old screw driver on the plug method. But once I disco the harness I wont be able to 'crank' it. <br /><br />Just use the string to manually pull the engine over?

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Yeah, the plugs are the same length, so no dammage done there..

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Jump the starter out....

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to crank the motor to check for spark.<br />Remove the plug wires and connect them plug to a spark gap tester. Do a search you will find some illustrations on how to make your own spark gap tester pretty easily.<br />To crank the engine with the red plug disconnected<br />you will have to jump power from the + battery connection on the solenoid to the + coil terminal of the solenoid.

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Great thanks! <br /><br />I'll try this tonight.<br /><br /><br />side note..<br />I see you are from Largo.. Used to live in Palm harbor and Tampa for a while!

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Thanks!<br /><br />Figured it out. We installed some lights, and it was somehow shorting out the ignition switch.. Up and running, thanks for all the help in diagnisis!! <br /> MIKE

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Thanks!<br /><br />Figured it out. We installed some lights, and it was somehow shorting out the ignition switch.. Up and running, thanks for all the help in diagnisis!! <br /> MIKE

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great!<br />Thanks for letting us know the outcome.