1985 Suzuki DT-115

madmark

Cadet
I have read posts on timing these motors and it says to run at wide open throttle in gear using a test wheel. I understand the test wheel has very little pitch if any. Is it possible to remove the prop and run it at the dock and achieve the same results? Any replies are appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 Suzuki DT-115

The reason for the test wheel is to put a proper load on the engine, skier. That way it will require full throttle to reach operating speed. Without it, you can overspeed the engine with very little throttle.<br /><br />With no load a revved up 2 stroke is very likely to go into thermal runaway. That is likely to blow it up. Even if it doesn't blow up it will scare the heck out of you because you can't turn it off except to run it out of fuel.<br /><br />Use the wheel or a big enough test tank to allow full throttle with the prop installed.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you have one of the earlier engines (I think you do, my DT85 is a 1987) which advances the timing manually (not electronically) you can disconnect the carb linkage from the timing arm and give the engine full advance without giving it full throttle. The rpms won't go too high and you can get a look with the timing light at the max advance.

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i did it last year on my dt 140 85 and that worked just fine!!

madmark

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Jimd, when you did this did was it on muffs, or on the trailer at the ramp? Did you have the prop on? This sounds like what I would want to do.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I did it on muffs, the rpms were not much above idle, say 1500 rpm or so (I didn't have a tach). If it makes you nervous you could put it in the water on the trailer and put it in gear. By disconnecting the carb the rpms are only increased by the timing and without the extra fuel/air the engine won't go that high. But with the timing advanced to the maximum you can check the timing with a timing light. This only works on mechanical timing advance mechanisms that aren't rpm sensitive.