Evinrude Blues 56 10hp sportwin runs but barely

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey folks I need help.. My motor does too :) <br />I've got a 1956 10 hp sportwin (10012 - 09086)<br />So far I've cleaned the carberator twice.. second time with all new gaskets, packing, needle & seat, etc... Timing plate is set so the throttle just starts to open as line on cam plate lines up with the roller... Compression is 88 in the bottom cylinder, 86 in the top. Has been decarbed, spark jumps a 1/4" gap. All of this learned right here using the handy dandy search button up top :) <br /><br />Now this is what is happening. It starts right up and runs fine in the start position.. if I throttle down any lower than just above the shift position it wants to cough out and die. I'm starting with the low mixture out 1.5 turns and the high speed at .5 turns. In the start position if I open the high speed just 1/16 of a turn it raises the rpms so I did that till it was running like a champ in the start position. Then as I lower the rpms (just trying to keep it running) I start to adjust the low mixture... there's very little effect with the low mixture screw at all.. and it just wants to cough or sputter and die as I approach the shift mark no matter where the low mixture is set. When I was able to get it to run at the shift position, if I throttled up it was very slow to pick up rpms.<br /><br /> I've sprayed around the mixture screws n packing, and the gasket between the carb and the engine, with deep creep and carb cleaner looking for air leaks and there's no effect in the running at all so I'm assuming there's no air leaks. <br /><br />What am I doing wrong? It seems all the signs are there that it should run like a champ. What should the compression be on a great running motor equal to this model?<br /><br />what can I do besides
snipersmilie.gif
<br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Blues 56 10hp sportwin runs but barely

Wimperdink....turn the low speed needle in till it gently seats and back it out 3/4 turn and start from there. Also...set the high speed needle first. It's best to set the needles with the boat and engine in the water underway.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok i'll try that... Not so sure about underway yet :) I'm not crazy about being stranded :D <br /><br />If it runs good in a tank then i'll hit the water to dial it in.<br /><br />edit: I just tried it in the tank and while it does run better, when I get down to the "shift" position on the throttle it idles down nice then all of a sudden just shuts off as though you hit a kill button.<br /><br />I guess I need to do as you say and get it out on the lake and get high speed set right then just mess with the low speed by itself.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some of the engine have stops on the knob, to keep you from turning a full revolution. if so remove the knob and use a pair of pliers then put knob back on. i'm sure you are aware of Joe reeves post on adjusting these screws.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes i've removed those stops just while I get this tuned proper. Once I get it running proper i'll reset the knobs to center and put the stops back on. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went out today to open it up and set the high speed. No go. It wouldnt open up at all.... it felt as though it was running wayyyyy to rich and just blubbered like a lil baby. RPM's felt like maybe 2000 rpms.. half speed at best. <br /><br />I saw it mentioned on here somewhere about exhaust ports plugging up. I dont know exactly what to look for. Anyone care to explain?<br /><br />It kinda feels like my chainsaw felt when the spark arrester screen was plugged up solid. Can something similar happen to an outboard?<br /><br />Edit- Cancel help request for mean time. I pulled the flywheel to look at the points. and there it was... plastic bits all over the place from the coils. I'm going to replace the coils, points, and condensers and try try again. :)