1971 Johnson 125 with no forward

tunger63

Cadet
hello to all. I have a 125ESL71C with shift problems. I will begin with this motor problably hasn't ran in 5 years. I read the post about what to do with a motor that has sat for a while. I also have the seloc manuel (I know) and have ran some checks using this mauel. I checked the solenoids to ground and blue wire was 6.0 ohms and green wire was 5.5 ohms. I checked the voltage while running and voltages are fine. Shift switch appears to be working accordingly. It will shift into reverse but will not work in forward. Now if I understand this correctly this unit, when no power is going to the shift solenoids, spring loads to forward. So do I have a bad spring? Oh and also I have put Citgo Marine plus gear lube which states it is for "type c" lower units. The lube that was in there before was not type c (I found the tube on the boat). Another thing I have not had the motor in the water yet, just on muffs. Any help would be appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Johnson 125 with no forward

Tunger....will the prop spin with the engine shut down and no power applied?

tunger63

Cadet

yes that is what I found odd also. Everything that I read is that with on power the unit should go to forward. I would think that it would catch but it spins pretty freely.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Couple things come to mind.....<br /><br />Take the prop off and see if the prop shaft spins with out the prop.....<br /><br />If it does, likely either the prop shaft is broke or you have problems with the gears or spring that keeps it in forward.

tunger63

Cadet

I was afraid of that. Thanks OBJ. I have already taken the prop off and it still spins with. It will run in reverse. Well looks like I get to find out how to work on a lower unit. Thanks again for the help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

One of the things that we used to see with those is that the plunger would stick in the pump. Don't know why they started sticking but it was fairly easy to fix. We figured out how to get the plunger out without taking the unit off. They we just polished it up and away we went.

tunger63

Cadet

Well after 5 years of sitting out in the weather I would guess there will be some things sticking. Hey thanks guys I will let you know what I find.

tunger63

Cadet

Ok guys after I finally got the lower unit apart, I can't find anything that looks wrong. The prop shaft is in one piece. the dog clutch is in good shape and the gears look ok. I ordered a seal kit for the lower unit and when it gets in I will be putting it back together. Is there something else I should be looking at or just clean it up and reassemble? Could contaminated lower unit lube cause this problem even though I replaced it?