1977 70hp. what years whould match?

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys.<br /><br />SOme of you may remember I had some troubles with my 1977 70hp evinrude last summer. The power head is gonna cost me more money to fix than it's worth......even if I do the work myself. However I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the leg. I have since replaced the motor with a 1990 90hp and am happy I did.<br /><br />Today I saw a boat for sale with a 70hp evinrude. The motor looks very similar to my old one, but maybe older. There was a piece of paper on the boat saying the boat and trailer are fine, but the motor didn't run....open to offers. The guy wasn't there for me to talk to but I left a message for him to call me.<br /><br />So here are my questions.<br /><br />I am hoping that the power head on this motor is fine, and maybe the leg is gone(like I said. hoping. I do not know if this is the case.) If it is the case, what years would be compatible with me 1977. To switch the legs I mean.<br /><br />Also......I am assuming this boat will move pretty good with a 70hp on it.......it is only a 14 footer...4 seater.one of those little boats with cable steering.I am sure you know what I am talking about. Is this motor even safe on such a small boat (I can only remember them having 40hp motors..give or take)..........and how fast do you think it will go???<br /><br />Lastly..........I can't see offering more than a few hundred dollars for his boat........do you think this is fair??(I guess this question has to be more targeted to those living up hear in B.C. Canada, who understand the value of our currency, and local markets).<br /><br />Thankyou for reading.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 70hp. what years whould match?

As i recall, the 77 70hp lower unit will fit a 75-78 70hp. I think that some of the other 3 cyl motors will fit, i know the 75 stinger will work on that LU. I spent 6 months looking for one on ebay, didn't want to spent the 1600 a rebuilt one costs.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you saying you are looking for a bottom end for that motor.cause if you are..make me an offer............I would just like to get rid of mine.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

update.<br /><br />I found a 1979 powerhead on e-bay that is currently going for $99 US, plus shipping (which will be huge to Canada.) I am waiting for a compression rating before placing a bid, and also would like to confirm that this part will fit my motor as the seller says it would.(actually he said it would fit a 1976 motor.)