UPPER CRANKSHAFT BEARING?

DARKCLOWN

Seaman
I HAVE A 1965 EVINRUDE BIG TWIN 40HP AND THE CRANKSHAFT WIGGLES A BIT AND I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE UPPER BEARING CAN ANYONE TELL HOW TO CHANGE IT OUT? THANKS :) :confused:

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: UPPER CRANKSHAFT BEARING?

The way to do it is .<br /><br /> Get a manual for your motor.<br /><br /> Then if you have any trouble .<br /><br /> You can ask for help .<br /><br /> Without a manual , you don't even need to start working on it.<br /><br /> Everything is explained, in the manual. <br /><br /> Though vague at times .<br /><br /> Thats where the help comes in.<br /><br /> Good - Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Like KYHunter2 said, you're going to need a manual. Generally speaking, you need to remove the engine's acessories such as the starter, carburetor, ignition system, fuel pump, throttle linkages. Then remove the engine itself from the outboard, remove the intake system, and separate the crankcase. If you attempt this without a manual I'll warn you that there's two alignment pins in the crankcase which are tapered, and must be driven from their small end toward their big end. Also, the flywheel must be removed using a puller that acts on the three bolt-holes near the centre of the flywheel, which are used for the pull-start's ratchet.<br />The bearing is pinned in place, so it cannot be removed without disassembling the crankcase. It should be impossible for it to spin as well.<br /><br />Also, try keeping your posts together. This is getting confusing quick.

DARKCLOWN

Seaman

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Like KYHunter2 said, you're going to need a manual. Generally speaking, you need to remove the engine's acessories such as the starter, carburetor, ignition system, fuel pump, throttle linkages. Then remove the engine itself from the outboard, remove the intake system, and separate the crankcase. If you attempt this without a manual I'll warn you that there's two alignment pins in the crankcase which are tapered, and must be driven from their small end toward their big end. Also, the flywheel must be removed using a puller that acts on the three bolt-holes near the centre of the flywheel, which are used for the pull-start's ratchet.<br />The bearing is pinned in place, so it cannot be removed without disassembling the crankcase. It should be impossible for it to spin as well.<br /><br />Also, try keeping your posts together. This is getting confusing quick.
:)