electric choke question

kbergman10

Cadet
I have a 1968 Evinrude Triumph 55hp motor and had a question about the electric choke wire coming to the key switch. Can this wire be hooked straight to the accessory wire or do I need a ignition with the push to choke feature? The engine has a setting on the back for choke on off or automatic, so if it set to auto and the wire to acc. would that be correct?

Walker

Captain
Re: electric choke question

Yes it can be hooked up to an independent switch/button

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No! That wire is not to be energized all the time -- only for starting as in when you push in on the key. So yes you need a push-to-choke style switch. You could use a separate push button switch if you like but its a pain in the rear because starting is now a two-handed operation. One to turn the key and another to push the button until the engine starts.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The back of your key switch in your remote contains a contact(wire) that has 12v on it only when you push the key in....in the RUN or START positions. That's the one you want to wire to your choke solenoid. The other side of the solenoid should be grounded via it's case or with another wire coming from it.<br /><br />Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just put a toggle switch on my dash when the old switch went bad. up is choke down is not. still one handed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just don't forget to turn it off after the engine starts. In this case "Automatic" is not really automatic.

68whaler

Seaman

My original 68 installation is a spring loaded toggle switch with a rubber boot covering all.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

10-4 on the spring loaded, SPST, 15a, 24vdc, (min)weatherproofed, toggle, switch (helluva lot of adjectives there... phew) if the switch in the control box is inop.<br /><br />A good marine (and industrial....usually) supply should have just what you want.<br /><br />Mark