77 johnson 85hp Fuel bulb collapses

trudat18

Cadet
I primed the fuel bulb and the boat runs good for about 3-5 min. then the bulb collapses and the engine loses all its power. What could be the problem. I have an in line fuel filter that I had to splice the line to put on. It is ahead of the bulb. Should I remove this also the hose is much larger then the fitting on the tank but I have it hose clamped on there pretty tight. ANY HELP PLEASE!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 johnson 85hp Fuel bulb collapses

Please stay with the original thread - easier for everyone.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Is your vent on the gas tank open or operating properly?

capttom

Cadet

I had the same proplem a couple of years ago, my proplem was in the fuel tank, something clogged the intake for the fuel.The fuel was restricted to the engine. I had a new tank built and the new intake line did not have the screen on it. Could also be the vent, like mentioned above.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Debris in the tank is very likely restricting the pickup as mentioned. If this is a plastic portable tank, the culprit is fine plastic particles from the drilling process. A plugged vent will also cause the problem as will a bad check valve in the primer bulb itself. At any rate, the problem is from the bulb back to the tank.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A couple of things to check. If you have an anti-siphon valve (typical on built in tanks) it could have debris in it, causing improper operation of the ball valve. You also may have a bad ball valve in the bulb of the hose.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

If you find it is, the anti- siphon valve. <br /><br /> IMHO, the best thing to do. Very carefully, remove the spring and ball bearing.<br /><br /> Then , very carefully, <br /><br /> WIND - UP , & S L I N G THEM ! ! ! <br /> <br /> As far as possible !!!<br /><br /> Never have to worry ,about it messin' up again.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /> <br /> KYhunter :D

trudat18

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice I plan to remove the check valve on the tank and replace it .

trudat18

Cadet

there is a vent hose on the the line and it is in proper working order.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

I meant take it out , I wouldn't even put it back. <br /><br /> If yours is like the ones I've had , just leave the guts out of it.<br /><br /> You said : <br /><br /> " also the hose is much larger then the fitting on the tank but I have it hose clamped on there pretty tight." <br /><br /> You really need to get this connection correct.<br /><br /> You want the whole fuel line , primer , pump , filter , tank , assembly . <br /><br /> Properly fit and tightened / sealed. <br /><br /> The only place, for air to get in. <br /><br /> Is the tank vent.<br /><br /> No where else , between tank and carbs.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter :)

trudat18

Cadet

I took your advice KYHunter2 and took out the spring and ball bearing and reattached the fittings works great the ball no longer collapses I also got a larger fitting to fit the hose properly. The only thing is I still and losing power to my engine after it warms up a little My 2 cylinders on the left if your looking at it from the back of the motor dont have spark. I checked the power pack there is 55 volts coming out of to the right cylinders with spark and only 40 volts going to the left cylinders without spark. I switched the wires on the power pack to make sure it wasn't the coils and I was able to get spark on the left side by hooking the wires up the the terminals that send the power to the right side. Any ideas on the problem. Or Where I can find a used or cheap power pack for that motor?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like, it could be a bad pack. <br /><br /> Heat (ie:warms up ), can have a great effect on electrical circuits.<br /><br /> You switching the connections, would indicate, that the pack is on its way out.<br /><br /> Did you use a neon tester, to check power pack output??<br /><br /> I dont know about your voltage readings , as I've never tested any, the way you did. <br /><br /> You also need to be sure, all your elect. connections , are clean , tight etc.<br /><br /> The grounds are bad, about losing connection.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> I'd check the coils also .<br /><br /> You can probably get a used pack on e-bay.<br /><br /> You are taking a chance, buying used electronics.<br /><br /> There are some aftermarket packs, that are good. And not too expensive.<br /> <br /> i-boats may carry them.<br /> <br /> I personally , like to get new , when it comes to packs and coils.<br /><br /> But, thats just personal preference. <br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYhunter :)

trudat18

Cadet

Thanks I plan to get a new power pack. I just used a regular volt tester.

trudat18

Cadet

I have ran into yet another problem the shifter control won't go into reverse. I have disconnected all the cables in the power head and it still won't go into reverse. I can push all the way ahead for forward but it gets to neutral and wont go any farther back. Any ideas.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Try shifting it at shift rod .<br /><br /> If it wont go into reverse .<br /><br /> You'll have to check lower unit / gearcase.<br /><br /> If it goes into both gears at shift rod.<br /><br /> Then its probably in shifter or cables.<br /><br /> Good - Luck,<br /> <br /> KYHunter

trudat18

Cadet

I can shift into forward, neutral, and reverse in using the shift rod.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

So everything from the linkage to shift rod , works correctly.<br /><br /> If your linkage etc. is like I think it is , theres not much to it.<br /> <br /><br /> With shift cable unhooked from linkage to shift rod.<br /> <br /><br /> Have someone move shifter through gears F - N - R . <br /><br /> <br /> See if the rod at the end of the cylinder , moves correctly, as the shifter is moved. If it does, then something is not hooked up correctly, at the linkage. <br /><br /> Though I dont know what , or how its wrong...<br /><br /> Its not really difficult, to figure out, but its difficult, for me to explain .<br /><br /> All thats left , is the shifter and cable, or its, improperly installed/ connected.<br /><br /> At least you know, the lower unit is shifting correctly. <br /><br /> You did check, by rotating prop when in gear right? <br /><br /> You may also have the shift cable adjusted wrong .<br /><br /> I assumed , that it was working fine, and suddenly, its not.<br /><br /> Try to explain, what you have done, and checked . All I can do is guess .<br /><br /> There's , like I said, not much to the shifter, to shift cable, to linkage. <br /><br /> You really should, be able to figure it out. <br /><br /> You have a manual right??<br /><br /> If you do, and you can't figure it out . <br /><br /> You may want to ask someone , with more experience, to look at it for you. <br /><br /> I'll still try to help , if I can.<br /> <br /> Good _ Luck,<br /> <br /><br /> KYHunter

trudat18

Cadet

Thanks for all the help. I will try that and yes it shifts fine from the power head I checked to make sure by rotating the prop.

trudat18

Cadet

Only question I still have is how to disconnect the cables from the shifter rod.