1972 Johnson 125hp Spark???

jtwood12

Cadet
I have stated engine above. <br /><br />I can get the engine to start run about ten mintues and then it dies, I check spark have nothing. I wait awhile then it comes back (spark). The manual says nothing of this and I dont have the slightest idea were to start. <br />Can it be the sensor?, return spring?, :confused: <br /><br />Guessing that it started that the pulsepack is ok? any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Johnson 125hp Spark???

Do you have a good battery JT? You need a solid 12V's for this system to function right. If your batteries voltage is dying, the amp will die with it.<br /><br />How is the engines temp when running? Not overheating?<br /><br />Next time you run it and it dies, use the test below posted by Joe Reeves. It should tell you if it's the amp or not. And again....make sure the battery is good.<br /><br />Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

jtwood12

Cadet

The engine is not overheating at all, well the funny thing is when it dies I get nothing from the blue wire on the power pack. and then when I start looking at wires and moving them around, bam it like it works again, I almost think its like a light bulb when you flick it it works the flick it again and it dont. what are the odds its a bad sensor? bad stator? tomarrow I will pull the flywheel and have a look see. can the return spring keep it from starting? how about a safty switch? were is the switch in the control? I feel like I am looking for a needle in a hay stack any look here would be helpful again thank you

jtwood12

Cadet

........I am having problems pulling the flywheel, any suggestions? I broke, ok striped a puller, cant get it to budge even a little bit. any way help with the questions above is still open thank you.