85Johnson water pump replacement

WDC

Seaman
I have some questions on removing the water pump.<br />I apreciate everyones help in isoalting the problem. I am just in the planning stages so I want to make sure I understand the steps.<br /><br />As ezeke mentioned these are the general steps to remove the water pump. I have a few questions below<br /><br />Step 1 - remove shift cable<br /><br />Step 2 - remove four bolts from under cavitation plate and one from above and below trim tab. Saw four not seven ezeke.<br /><br />Step 3- Remove gear case<br /><br />Step 4 - Remove water pump and install new one<br />Inspect gear case<br /><br />Question on step 1 . Observed it's below carb. Tight space. How do you remove the tiny bolt,its very small, how is it held in).It look like two metal arms holding a rod with a pin or bolt in it. This obviously controls the forward and reverse direction and speed.<br /><br />Doesn't the cable with the swivel top get pulled through when you remove the gear and when you reinstall the cable it is pushed back up.<br /><br /><br />All else make sense.

ob

Admiral
Re: 85Johnson water pump replacement

Is that a 85 hp engine or a 1985 engine?

WDC

Seaman

Sorry for the confusion. That is a 1973 85 hp Johnson model esl73 4 cylinder.

ob

Admiral

Question #1 ,the small pin bolt that retains the shift rod to the shift arm is indeed under the lower carb area.The right extension/swivel tool and a few choice words will get it removed.I believe the head is a 3/8" hex,but don't quote me on that.Removing the cable will allow you to swing the arm free once the shift rod pin/bolt is removed.<br /><br />Once this shift rod is disconnected,all the other bolts are at the lower unit joint.Don't forget the one under the trim tab.The shift rod will travel down with the lower unit once all of the lower bolts are removed.Try not to turn the shift rod once removed or it will alter its length,as it is threaded into the lower unit shift component.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

On the 73's you'll need to remove the big bolt in the middle of the two shift arms. It takes a 5/8" socket or wrench if I remember correctly.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

This is what I wrote:<br />"There are 7 bolts that you will need to remove from under the cavitation plate on the lower unit to release it from the mid-section or exhaust housing. <br />One of these actually holds the trim tab, but there is another bolt hidden above the tab that must be removed."<br /><br />There are two bolts on each side (4)<br />One in front of the trim tab (1)<br />One holding the trim tab (1)<br />One hidden above the trim tab (1) <br />That is a total of seven bolts, all removed from underneath . Hope that helps to clarify.

WDC

Seaman

Thanks Ezeke. I work on cars alot but slowly reading the boat manual and reading the forums to understand the boat lingo, terminology and location. It's fun. Thanks for your help and I understand now.