2 line fuel tank

Trekspyder

Cadet
What's the little black button on top of my fuel tank for? It's a 2 line fuel tank for a 1953 Johnson. Thank you.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 line fuel tank

That's the primer pump button Trek. You use that to initially get the fuel up to the engine. Once the engine is started, pressure is supplied to the tank from the engine through the "air" side of the dbl line.

Kev

Seaman

Trek,<br /><br />Like OBJ said, you push that button several times until it gets hard to push before you try to pull start the engine. It is analogous to the fuel bulb you squeeze on newer fuel lines.<br /><br />Once your tank is slightly pressurized and the motor is running, check for air/fuel leaks around the button and also around the top of the gas tank.<br /><br />Leaks are somewhat common on these older tanks, and a big enough leak could affect the running of your motor, not to mention drip oily gas into your boat. (I know)<br /><br />The fuel tank top gasket and diaphragm for the pump button may still be found at your local marine store if you need to replace them.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />Kev

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a 15hp 1955 rude, a great runner, proper care and Maint, and it will go forever. mine starts 1 or 2nd pull. what motor do you have.

Trekspyder

Cadet

OBJ and Kevman thank you for the good information,<br /><br />Tashasdaddy, I have the 1953 Johnson 5 1/2 horse. Great running motor, it pushes my little 12 foot around nice for fishing.<br /><br />Thanks again guys,<br />Trek.