1976 85 h.p. johnson quit firing

I went fishing Saturday,my motor would not hit over 2000 rpms.I went to my fishing hole anyway.On the way back the motor died.It didnt spit,or sputter or give any other symptoms besides not opening up over 2000 rpms.It is not firing on any of the cylinders.Any help will be appreciated.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 85 h.p. johnson quit firing

Start by disconnecting the black and yellow wire from the power pack, that will isolate the ignition switch, neutral switch and a short in the harness as possible reasons for the problem if the motor starts. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Be aware that if it starts, you will not be able to stop it with the key, so be ready to hit the manual choke at the motor and possibly disconnect the fuel line.<br /><br />Don't get distracted. There is a series of steps that will solve the problem if they are done in sequence.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Almost sounds like you were running on two cylinders 76. Don't know how long you run it, but I sure would take a compression check on all the cylinders just as a precaution.<br /><br />Ezeke....don't you mean that if the engine does start, the problem may be the ign. switch, kill sw or short in the wire harness?......you hittin' the 30 weight again?....... :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Yes to the first question. Don't you ever sleep, OBJ? <br /><br />I think he was running on two until the power pack failed, but we have to eliminate some other possibilities first, right?<br /><br />Tried to restate that, hope it makes better sense now. :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You bet ezeke..... :) Try and cover all the bases for sure. That's what I like about this forum, usually someone around to back you up and give good input. Can't tell you how much I've learned.<br /><br />I do sleep on occasion...... :) <br /><br />EDIT: Get a chance ezeke, take a look at the post by 5678910. Hope he comes back and takes a look.

I did a conpression check.Cylinders # 1,2,&3 have 120 psi,and #4 has 115 psi.I agree that it sounds like it was running on two cylinders to begin with but what was cause it to fire on only two cylinders and then just quit firing all together.I pulled the black/yellow wire from the power pack and it still is not firing.

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

76,<br /><br />I am thinking that there is something common to everything that is causing no spark at all. Maybe there is a fuse on the engine that blew. Check that fuse and try and you might have another problem with just the 2 cylinders not firing. Is the 2 cylinders not firing on the same side if so maybe a bad powerpack? Make sure the kill switch is good to go.

Vigilante

Cadet

I've just bought a '73 - '77 85 evin' with no spark and am suspect of that power pack. Being the GM guy that I am I'm considering connecting 4 GM ignition modules in place of the PP since I have a few laying around. Anybody have any tips on this one.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

76', just for grins, take a peek up under the flywheel and see if you see any goo laying about.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

76', just for grins, take a peek up under the flywheel and see if you see any goo laying about.
'76, I had a toasted stator on my '77 85HP, I was lucky that it dripped down to where I could see it. Best to pull the flywheel and inspect, as in my case there were other spots on the stator that "bubble" up and leaked but not enough to run down the sides. I had spark problems before this, and still had issues and ended up replacing it, power pack, and rectifier. Ask these guys, one bad part will cause a train wreck if not fixed immediately!