Evinrude 25hp cold start problem

OFD56

Seaman Apprentice
Hello I am listing this question for my grandpa. Recently he bought a boat with a 1998 25HP electric start Evinrude Outboard. The model# is E25ELEUB Serial is G04230422. When he goes to start the motor in the morning when it is cold it will not start, when he pushes the key in for choke, there is no noise back at the motor indicating the choke opening. When he goes to start it in the after noon when the temperature outside warms up it will start right up even before the flywheel makes a complete rotation all hit has to do is turn the key for a split second so it starts good just not in cold weather. Any help would be much appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 25hp cold start problem

Hey Chris....<br /><br />Your grandpa's engine is equipped with a primer solenoid instead of the older choke plate style choke system.<br /><br />Look at the engine and the primer is a black cylinder with a red lever on it. With the hood off, turn the key on and push as you would when starting....don't try to start though. You should be able to hear the faint click of the solenoid picking up. If you do not hear the click, check for 12V's DC at the terminal on the solenoid when the key is pushed in. If there is no voltage, trouble shoot from the ignition to the solenoid...your wire is the purple w/white stripe.<br /><br />If it clicks, remove the primer hose from the carb and put it in a jar that you can see and crank the engine. You should see fuel squirting out the end of the hose. No fuel, something in the solenoid head is amiss.<br /><br />One other test to try. With the boat in the water, turn the red lever counter clockwise as far as it will go....just about a half turn. This is the manual prime position and should be turned back to the normal position (the red lever pointing to the bottom of the solenoid) after the engine starts. Try starting the engine. If she fires up, then there is a problem with the primer. Parts are readily available for the primers from any John/Rude dealer.<br /><br />Look for leaks around the red lever when the key is pushed in and the engine is cranking. The levers can get cracks in them.<br /><br />My first thought would be that for some reason your not getting 12V's to the solenoid. But do the tests to make sure.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

OFD56

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the fast reply the next time I see my grandpa I will test the solenoid and let you know.

OFD56

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, we got the primer solenoid working, we bleed the vavle on the top of the solenoid, which must of freed up the valve, there must of been a air lock in the vavle, but anyways we got it fixed, and thanks for your help, also my grandpa wanted to ask you if you could tell him where the Air, and Fuel jet adjustments are?