how to tell if water got into my gas tank

zaner

Seaman Apprentice
I took on alot of water 2 weeks ago in the bay and i had 2 tanks of gas onboard in the rear compartment where the gastanks are stored....how do i know if water got into the tanks. It smells ok but I am not sure if it is ok. I dipped a leaf into the gas and lit it and it ignited with no problem...is there another test i could do to be sure and if water is present when i run my motor will it damage the motor or just run like crap?

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to tell if water got into my gas tank

How big are your tanks? I take it that they are removeable.

zaner

Seaman Apprentice

2 6 gallon tanks.....

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

You can try to pump a little in a glass jar . I've done this . let it set for a bit, and they'll seperate.<br /> If unsure, if it were me, I'd use the gas, in my truck, after adding a a can of heat or the like. <br /> You dont want to use it in your outboard , if theres any chance of water.<br /> If you dont have a water seperator /fuel filter, you ought to get one.<br /> It needs to be between tank and bulb.<br /> Good-Luck,<br /> KYHunter

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dump em and get new gas.. Easier than getting towed. lawn mowers love bad gas

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the tanks caps were properly tightened and any vents closed, then there should be no problem. or.....<br /><br />1. there are test strips you can use to attach to a stick and dip into the bottom of the tank to see if water is there. This is used in testing underground fuel oil (or other) tanks. They work. I imagine they have them for boat tanks , too. same thing.<br /><br />2. small airplanes have a test spigot at the lowest point of their tanks. before every flight, you remove a cup of water. Since water drops to the bottom of the gas, then water will come out first and be identified visually. You can possibly mimic this by turning your tank upside down, carefully opening the cap a bit, and draining out some gas(or water) into a funnel leading to a glass jar for inspection. This is mor accurate than pumping a bit out for testing, because the pickup is near but not truly on the bottom and cannot pickup the remaining few millimeters of fluid (where the water hides).

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

As someone already noted, gasoline floats on water. The water will eventually get into the pickup because it is near the bottom. <br /><br />Products called dry gas will help to keep a small quantity of water mixed with the gas, and a water-separating in line fuel filter mounted on your boat will help with future concerns.<br /><br />BTW, a good friend who decided to burn some watery boat gas in his pickup truck had to spend $500. to have the tank pulled and cleaned when the motor could not be started again by him or the dealer.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

petrol stations use a water detection paste on the dip sticks they use to check storage tank levels. this paste changes colour when it comes in contact with water, maybe the local petrol station can help,or at least tell you where you can get this water detecting paste, Kind regards William Wright.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dought you have any water in them at all

DHPMARINE

Captain

Take a strong flashlight and take a look.Tilt the tank back and forth,and the sludge on the bottom is the water.<br /><br />DHP