55 HP Evinrude "shocks me" ZZZZZ

blueice888

Cadet
I have an old 1976 55 hp Evinrude which I picked up in a garage sale. :D <br /><br />I cleaned up the carbs, changed the plugs and got her to start. The problem is I can see a spark gap from the flywheel to the throttle linkage and if I touch the key I can actually feel it shock me.<br /><br />The motor misses while it does it. It looks like at least one of the coils has been changed, and I checked everywhere visible on the engine and there is are no cracked wires or anything exposed or grounded out that I can see.<br /><br />Since it is coming from the flywheel is it suspect something may be amiss "under the hood" so to speak?? <br /><br />I suppose I should go ahead and change the points and such if I pull it, but where could I find the information on the gap and such? It really isn't worth dumping any money into so it's up to this weekend mechanic or she has to go my wife says.<br /><br />I have only pulled a flywheel one time 25+ years ago on an old Johnson 18 with my father and don't really remember that much :rolleyes: so any advice or direction would be appreciated.

boatlover1025

Recruit
Re: 55 HP Evinrude "shocks me" ZZZZZ

there may be a stator under the flywheel on your motor. start there since youre having a problem with a spark jumping

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

first order a factory service manual go to kencook.com, you can order it there, or get the #, and look on Ebay. they are there all the time. you just need the correct one. don't order a clymer,

blueice888

Cadet

Okay, I will see if I can pick one up, or borrow a close year.<br /><br /> With the boat motor and trailer I have $250 bucks in this thing and I am on a tight budget. I may see if I can pull in a favor from a friend to do a compression test and check out the lower unit before I get too deep into my little project boat.<br /><br />Any more advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 76 used a CD type ign. it has no points and has a sensor under the flywheel. carfully inspect the charge coil wiring and the stop circuit wiring, while running they can have 150+volts on them.<br /> the same procedure is used for the 55 and the 18 for pulling a flywheel. when that 55 left the factory the bolt size was 5/16thsx24.

blueice888

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt!!<br /><br />I did a search and found that it does in fact have a stator from parts lists for that motor. <br /><br /> http://www.tenkillermarine.com/boatparts/jandesearch.asp?cat=items&cval=4&hval=24&val=49 <br /><br />I guess they made a few advances from that old 1950's 18 hp I worked on. <br /><br />How would I know if the Stator is in fact bad? I have read on some sites where I can test the resistance between certain points, or is it more likely a short in a wire?<br /><br />I went and got a harmonic balancer puller last night and I will try to get the flywheel off this afternoon and see what is amuck.<br /><br />Thank you again for the help,<br /><br />Peter