starter problems

rusty1969

Cadet
I have a 1969(i think) 40HP electric shift, no charger, model 40973R outboard. The starter/silinoid clicks, does not rotate at all. If i jump from the battery directly to starter hot side, stater works fine. If i jump from battery hot to silonoid (eleminating old cable leads) it still just clicks. so, is this a siloniod problem?<br /><br />i read a FAQ on this, but dont have a volt meter at my house. And, if i need a new silonoid, are they available?<br /><br />Thanks! :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: starter problems

If you are sure the solinoid to starter connections are good it would appear you have a bad solinoid.<br /> I'm surprised you have an electric shift with no charger. First thing they talk about in the electric shift section is the charge system must be in tip top shape.<br /> Solenoid may be available right here at iboats.

rusty1969

Cadet

Originally posted by steelespike:<br /> If you are sure the solinoid to starter connections are good it would appear you have a bad solinoid.<br /> I'm surprised you have an electric shift with no charger. First thing they talk about in the electric shift section is the charge system must be in tip top shape.<br /> Solenoid may be available right here at iboats.
yeah, i am just going to order a solenoid. any good sources for the charging system. right now i just topped off the batter before i go out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is there no charging system on the motor at all?<br /> My info only goes to 1970 but these motors use a seperate belt driven generator with a regulator.May be difficult and expensive to find.<br />You could try twincities outboards for parts.

zaner

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem recently with my starter and it turned out I had a bad connection to the selenoid.