57' seahorse 10 cooling question

pinedaddy

Cadet
I have a 1957 Johnson seahorse 10 Model QD-15. I wasn't getting any water flow so I pulled the lower unit and replaced the impeller. It didn't look like it was in bad shape. Does this motor have a thermostat? If so where is it located. I don't think it does, but would like to know for sure before I start it so I can replace it. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 57' seahorse 10 cooling question

No t-stat pinedaddy. How did you know you weren't getting any water flow? Engine get hot?<br /><br />And....welcome to iboats! :) :)

pinedaddy

Cadet

Hey thanks OBJ, I'll be smilin all night knowin I'll be on Cowan Lake all day tomorrow. Well, about the water flow, there wasn't any coming out with the exhaust, I didn't let it get hot. I let it cool down and ran it for a min a couple times and never got any flow. Maybe it sheared the little pin that drives the impeller. I couldn't find it, but I can't remember if it was there or not because I took it apart back in 2001. you ever hear of that happening?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No, never heard of an impeller key or pin shearing. Was the old impeller fins bent in the form of the cup and wouldn't straighten out? Rubber kinda hard?<br /><br />Work OK after the new impeller was installed?

pinedaddy

Cadet

No, it was soft and flexible. I haven't started it yet, going to in the morning. It's gotta work! If thats all there is to it no thermostat, theres no reason at all for it not to flow. i'll let ya know tomorrow.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Another idea, did you have it operating in enough water? Those pumps don't self prime and so they've got to be submerged or they'll just spin sucking air.

pinedaddy

Cadet

It is possible that was the case Paul. I was wondering that myself ealier today. I'll be sure it is deep enough tomorrow and post the results. thanks for the input.

pinedaddy

Cadet

Well the old sea horse did great all day, spent 12 hours at the lake and I know I ran it at least 6 of them. I love this motor, had it about 15 years now, always starts with a 1/4 pull. Don't know what the problem was, maybe the impeller, maybe a mud dobber nest, maybe I didn't have it deep enogh in the water before. i wish I would have known about this forum 5 years ago when I took it apart, because all the marine places I went to around here laughed and acted like I was crazy trin to get parts for a 57 seahorse. Said I couldn't get any parts for it. Well it's back in action, and I thank you all for the help. Now I need to find a few antique outboard projects to keep me busy. I love em!!