77 Johnson 25 questions, advice please.

santana21

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all outboard gurus! <br />You have never failed me yet, so here goes.<br />I am interested in a '64 Arkasas Traveler fiberglass boat with the following motor. I have several questions?<br /><br />(1) I can't find the model serial number on what looks to be a 77 johnson 25hp. Could not find it on the transom bracket, where else is it found?<br /><br />(2) Motor has 100 top and 100 bottom compression and looks to be in decent condition. Starts right away and idles pretty good on muffs. Throttle cable is attached but shift cable is not and looks real worn. Is that very hard to replace? Controls are OMC and look to be in the same vintage as motor.<br /><br />(3) The boat is 14 foot and weighs somewhere in the 200-250# range. What kind of speed could i expect from the boat/motor with a 6 gal tank and 200 pounds of me in it. I know there are alot of variables but I'm looking for a good educated guess.<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Jim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 Johnson 25 questions, advice please.

Jim....look on the block for a large welch plug. The model number will be on there along with the serial number. If it's a 70's Johnson engine, the last two numbers of the model number will tell you the year.<br /><br />Control cables are easy to replace on that engine. Is this a remote start or just the shift and throttle cable control?<br /><br />I wouldn't try to ski behind it......may have a tough time coming up..... :D :D Honestly....I could even give you a good educated guess.

santana21

Seaman Apprentice

The cables are shift and throttle control. They are seperate cables. one hooks to the lever on the side for shifting and the other connects to something on the port side of the engine for throttle. Motor is electric start. The guy who is selling it has the starter hooked up to the horn switch and kills the motor by choking it out. I will want to go back to the key switch at some point to start chock and stop the motor.<br /><br />What is a welch plug? Sorry not sure what that is.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The welch plug looks like a large freeze plug. Large silver round disc. Will be on top of the block near the back....maybe on the side. As I earlier posted, the plate on the port side transom bracket may still be there also. The model and serial number are there too. Determining the year of the engine helps a lot for troubleshooting problems and such and getting the right service manual.<br /><br />If the engine harnes is still there, reconnecting to an ignition switch is pretty easy. I would suggest you get a manual for the engine or maybe pay a visit to the local library. Libraries usually carry generic service manuals like seloc and clymers....both have wiring diagrams in the back which would make hooking up an ignition switch a lot easier for you. I would do this as soon as possible. Jury rigged wiring can only cause trouble.<br /><br />Are the control cables in good shape?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if he uses a horn switch on the dash, you can install an ignition switch there, or try to find a replacement to go into the controller. you can use the horn button as the choke. i've had to put a toggle on my dash for my choke, as i have been unable to get the choke button in controller to work.