Erratic idling on 2003 225 Evinrude

2ntow

Recruit
Sometimes during start-up, motor will start and immediately go to 3000 rpm, then not drop down to normal idle rpm. If I turn it off, then re-start, it will then run around 700-800 rpm. This problem also occurrs when pulling back on the throttle and going back into neutral, where the rpms will jump back up again. It appears that the throttle linkage is working fine when I remove the cover and check it. <br /><br />Any ideas on what to look for next? Could old spark plugs be causing the problem? Kind of at a loss on this one.<br /><br />Thanks for any suggestions on what to check.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Erratic idling on 2003 225 Evinrude

Your Evinrude is a DI model (direct injected) and any extra fuel that is introduced into the intake will make the motor rev up. Most likely the fuel pump diaphragm is leaking slightly or the vapor tank is overflowing and the excess is delivered to the intake manifold. A QUALIFIED tech has the know how and the manual and tools to fix this. Normally the motor would shut down and give a code 57 if the motor revs up while the throttle is closed.<br /><br />You can check the fuel pump for internal leakage by removing the pulse lines from it and seeing if there is any fuel residue in them.<br /><br />One other possibility is that the throttle position sensor (TPS) is loose or flakey, causing the "computer" to do weird things.

2ntow

Recruit
Re: Erratic idling on 2003 225 Evinrude

Found the problem after thinking about it last night. Went back and checked the linkage to the intakes, and everything looked fine. Then I noticed that the linkage was not returning all the way back so the stop adjusmtent was up against the block. DUHHHHHH, throttle cable was removed last week, and I think one of my little helpers that likes to turn things made an adjustment to the black adjustment nut that controls the cable length! Re-adjusted it so it now goes all the way back, and motor idles normally again!<br /><br />Thanks, Seahorse, for the reply.