Need advice. L/U still leaking.

jomart01

Cadet
I was getting water on my 98 v-6 L/U.Pressure and vac test showed propshaft leak. I pull carrier out,put two back to back seals,o-rings .Retested and still leaks around propshaft.Wonder if I used wrong seals on that kit or some marks and nicks I saw on the shaft are causing the leak.<br /><br />Shaft is 1 1/4 in diameter.<br />Kit P/N 5006373 Bombardier.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need advice. L/U still leaking.

Right kit no. Jo. Did you get the seals in straight and far enough? Did you notice any grooves in the prop shaft? How did you get them pressed in? The outside seal can be a pain if you don't have the tool and are using sockets.

jomart01

Cadet

I used a socket to get the seals all the way in.I did not see groves in the shaft. What I can see is marks like in a pevius job a metal objet was used to work the seals.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If the kit was OEM, instructions should have been included at to what seals to use. What is the model number of the engine? The V6 I'm looking at shows a single double lip seal.

jomart01

Cadet

OBJ I thank you for helping out.Instructions indicates that:<br />-always replace two single lip seal with same.<br />- a 1 1/4 shaft takes two single-lip seals.Refer to 1999(EE)or newer SErvice Manual.<br /><br />L/U is on a JOhnson 115 1998(v-4)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Jo....went through the whole list of models and all of them use the single dbl lip seal. Did you mike the shaft? Could someone have been in there before you?<br /><br />EDIT: Looked through the 99' models....they took the back to back seals.