JOHNSON 50 hp start problems

TRAKIM

Recruit
I have a 2000 model 50 hp johnson outboard it is a pull start tiller steer it is taking up to 20 mins to start it but after that is no worries starts first couple of pulls what is the problem am i flooding the motor or is it something else that is worse please help also what is the plunger on the front of the motor is it the choke or something else?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: JOHNSON 50 hp start problems

please state your proceedure when you are starting, step by step.

TRAKIM

Recruit

first i pump fuel line then i pull the plunger out then in once then ajust throttle then pull cord nothing happens for about 20 mins checked spark plugs please help getting frustrated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not familar with your engine, but i think the "plunger" s you choke. try this , pump fuel bulb until fairly hard, pull choke out (leave out), turn throttle to start, pull, should start in 2-3 pulls. you can then push choke in and out to keep it running. if this does not work, remove the front of the carbs, and with a spray bottle with the gas mixed in it, spray directly into the carb and then pull. you can do this in your yard, using muffs. don't try to start without water running. this works on most engine.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Pull that plunger 3 times,then push part way in so you can still see the red ring around the knob.<br />Start the engine,and as it warms up,push the plunger all the way in.Should make a world of difference.<br /><br />DHP

TRAKIM

Recruit

Thanks guys, am heading out tomorrow so ill let you know how i go, thanks again<br /><br />Loz