1988 200HP Johnson tilt trim problem

buddy_malec

Recruit
Heres the deal......My boat sank back in 03 shortly afterwards everything started to break which was expected. I replaced the WHOLE tilt trim system...switch, wires, relays, and motor. Now it isnt working again. I did a lot of tests and the relays are clicking when i hit the trim buttons but the motor doesnt engage. All the wires are clean and in tact. I just cant believe a new tilt trim motor would die after 2 years but is this what it sounds like???? is there a way I can directly test the motor? Also there is power at the motor wires when i hit the botton so most likely the motor is shot so my question i guess is are there any replacements that will last more than 2 years???

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1988 200HP Johnson tilt trim problem

I've never tried this but we have an auto electric shop here locally that told be if I had a motor that ran on 12V, they could fix it. Might be worth investigating.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Green wire and blue wire. Positive to one, negative to the other. Swith 'em to run the other way.<br /><br />Make sure everything else is disconnected so you don't burn anything.<br /><br />Big sparks so watch the gas fumes.

buddy_malec

Recruit

i hooked it up to a battery straight up and banged the **** out of it with a hammer like an old dead starter and it started working and it still is so we will see what happens