Changing Impellar on Johnson 115 - yr 2000

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
This is my second season with a yr2000 Johnson 115. I did not change the impellar last year, but was thinking I should do so this year. I plan to buy a manual. But, in the meantime, any suggestions or tricks of the trade I should know about? I've never changed an impellar before on anything other than a 2.5hp small nissan engine. For a guy who basically just changes his own plugs and fogs the engine, but nothing too much more intense than that, is it a job that I should be able to do myself? Thx, sd

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changing Impellar on Johnson 115 - yr 2000

its not hard but then again i've been doing it for 25 years<br />a manual will help<br />order a water pump repair kit<br />they have detailed instructions

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

SD....don't plan on buying the manual....BUY IT!<br /><br />You can order it from your local John/Rude dealer. I'd also get the parts catalog.<br /><br />Changing the impeller is no big deal. Just remember to release the shift rod first. Easy on your rig. Shift into reverse first. This helps when you re-install the lower unit. Disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever on the engine. There's a keeper pin in the shift arm you can get to from the starboard side of the engine. Pull the pin and shove the shift arm toward the port side. Move then move the shift arm forward to clear the shift rod.<br /><br />Remove the trim tab to get at the retainer bolt there. And there's one just ahead of the bolt that holds the anode in place. Then the four bolts around the mating line between the midsection and lower unit.<br /><br />Should fall on the floor...... :)

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

Marinemech1 and OBJ, thx very much for the sound advice. I'll pick up the manual and the water pump repair kit and will give it a try. Thx again. sd

bullgator99

Seaman Apprentice

h20man- I just finished doing that job on my 2000 115. The trickiest part is getting the shift rod disconnected and reconnected. The procedure is exactly like OBJ described it, but it's still not easy for a newbie like me to do.<br /><br />I found it much easier to do if I removed the lower cowl/motor cover. This gives much better access to the shift rod connection and lets you see what you're doing.