evinrude 89 140 v4

dgavob

Recruit
i checked all fuel lines and filters ran an external tank with 32:1 fuel mix after reading the manual (duhh) it calls for 50:1. im not sure but i think it hass a vro fuel pump but there is no external oil tank, alarm,or light. after my problem first occoured i noticed there was a plug unplugged on my motor so i plugged it in i looked on the wirwing schematic and cannot locate plug. and i actually forget whick plugs it was but it was neay fuel pump area. but any how if there is no oil tank should there be somthing left unplugged and could my motor be shutting down because the fuel is to lean and the pump is sensing this and shutting it down? like i said there is no light or alarm installed or if there is i dont know where it is .the motor idles fine and works at low speed but when i get on er it stalls no misfire or nothing just dies.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 89 140 v4

The plug was probably from the oil injection pump. It's OK to have it unplugged since you're not using the oil injection. In fac it has to be unplugged or you'll get a constant "No Oil" warning.<br /><br />Just make sure the oil inlet nipple is capped off. Either at the pan or at the pump. I prefer right at the pump.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Stalling or dying when throttle is applied is usually caused by a sticking timer base and/or fouled carburetors.<br /><br />Timer base check: Engine not running, but have it in in forawrd gear. Have someone move the throttle slowly from the idle position to full throttle. The timer base should move smoothly throughout that range. If it sticks (retared spark), find out why and correct it.<br /><br />If the timer base is okay, remove the carbuiretors, clean thoroughly, especially the fixed brass high speed jets in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, and rebuild them with complete kits.<br /><br />Check for an alarm (warning horn): Key in ON position, engine NOT running. Find the TAN wires protruding out of the cylinder heads (heat sensor), slide the insulation sleeve back and ground that wire out. The horn should sound. If it does not, find out whay as that's the only warning you'll receive if the engine starts to overheat.... otherwise the only knowledge of overheating will be when the engine suddenly seizes completely, something you do not want to encounter.

dgavob

Recruit

if oil mix is too lean will pump shut motor off

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, there is no automatic shut off. Use the 50/1 mixture.

dgavob

Recruit

what if that (wire) plug is connected will that create a problem? see i just got the motor it doesnt have an oil pan i premix the port for the oil line is capped there is 2 wires comming out of fuel pump do i need to un plugg i dont have a oil light or alarm that i know of would they be at instrument pannel or on motor<br />?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Remember at 32:1 you have more oil than at 50:1 so better to err on this side than the other. In other words your oil mix was too rich not too lean.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As Dhadley states.... You're mixing the oil with the fuel (premix) so you're simply using the VRO (large black plastic pump) as a fuel pump. As such you do not want that electrical line from the VRO plugged in.<br /><br />However.... DO CHECK the alarm system as I stated above. The instructions are simple. To ignore that overheating warning system is not a good idea.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You could be starving for fuel. When you get on it, squeeze the primer bulb and see if it will run higher rpm's.