Trim Screaming

slanger33

Cadet
I have a '97 Evinrude Vindicator 225 and I assume it has the OMC trim on it. Anyway whenever I trim down, espcially on hot days, I have this loud screaming sound. It does not do it every time, but when it does it is very annoying. Just wanted to know if anybobdy else has heard of this problem and may know the solution. Any help will be welcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim Screaming

Howdy, Slanger.<br /><br />Welcome aboard. :) <br /><br />The trim system is hydraulic. Screaming hydraulic systems have air in the system.<br /><br />Run it to full up. Remove the fill plug and top it off with PT&T oil. Replace the plug and cycle it a few times.<br /><br />Repeat until the screaming is gone.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could also be creaking in the tilt tube... <br /><br />There are a couple of grease fittings at the front of where the steering cable goes through the motor. Try a couple of squirts each, and maybe even loosen (just a little!!) the large nut right beneath the steering cable nut on the stbd clamp bracket.

slanger33

Cadet

Thanks JB, I appreciate the advice. It is slam full of fluid now. I have tried the cycling through its full range several times and it keeps screaming.

slanger33

Cadet

TxShorty I have greased those fittings real well and it still sreamed.. I guess I will loosen the nut a little and see what that does. Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The tilt rod eye connects up under the swivel bracket. There is a pin and two plastic bushings. The pin is held in by keeper pins. You could be getting the noise from there if the bushings are worn out or the assembly is dry. Might try some grease in this area.

slanger33

Cadet

Thanks OBJ I have already pulled the pin and greased it. the bushings seemed to be ok.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Slanger.... That screaming you describe is usually caused by the upper bushings in the center tilt cylinder piston rod assaembly.<br /><br />Salt deposits cause the nylon bushings to actually grab the retaining pin with a death like grip so to speak. The cure would be to remove the retaining pin and the bushing(s), clean and grease.<br /><br />A test as to whether that's the problem area or not is to (with a hand held propane torch) apply some heat to that area which would expand the metal and soften the bushings somewhat. Don't apply enough heat to melt the bushings.... and have a water hose and/or extinquisher handy just in case.