Another hard cold starting problem

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its a 93 Johnson 225. I have replaced the power pack, stator, rec/reg, and timmer base. All the battery cables and starter solenoid. I was having the same problem before i replaced all this item. Even after the motor starts up it seems that the quick start is not ingauged the rpms never change . I have noticed on my friend motor same year and hp that when it cranks up the rpms are around 2000 and goes dropping down as it warms up meaning his quick start is working. I need help back dont know what to look for. I am priming the bulb till it gets hard hold down the the key for 10 sec. and crank. Motor was rebuild 3 years ago and it has had about 50 hours since then. The carbs. should have been rebuilt at that time also. Any suggestions . :confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another hard cold starting problem

I think that if you engage the fast idle lever on the control it overrides the quick start. <br /><br />Maybe it is overriding anyway? If it is, maybe someone can tell you how to troubleshoot it.<br /><br />A couple of posts state that replacing the temp sensor fixed their problem.

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What warm up lever. And even if I disconnect the white/black wire off the sensor its still hard to start.

ob

Admiral

Check and see if your controls have a square button next to the throttle lever.OMC binacle controls have this feature.By pushing in on the button while actuating the throttle ,it cancels out the shift into gear and gives the operator fast idle control.<br /><br />Anyway ,as stated above maybe the temp sensor that sends the signal for cold startup is faulty or the engines T/stats are the culprit.Just a couple of possibilities.I know after I replaced my last T/stat ,my quickstart feature worked better.<br /><br />When you say that your engine is difficult to start,do you mean that you have to excessively crank before it will even fire,or just that the rpms are not increased with the quickstart feature?

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to excessively crank it for it to fire up. I just did a test on the white/blk wire. I turned on the engine and when i tuched the wire to ground the motor drops in rpms. What i dont understand is that I had a timming light and when I grounded the wire the timming didnt move. Im confused. The manual says that the timming should move thats how you test the quickstart. By the way I dont have that bottom and I also replaced the t-stats.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

The fact that it dropped revs when you grounded the temp sensor wire suggests that quickstart is working OK. Did you check the timing at that same time? Should have moved.<br /><br />Is your compression OK?

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I had the timming light on it and it didnt move. Thats what has me messed up the rpms dropped but the timming didnt move. The comp. is fine about 90psi on all.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

I guess you read the thread "Hard Starting after Sitting" You haven't got one of those controls where you pull the handle towards you to disengage the transmission? A warm up lever may solve your problem.

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My shift lever pulls out from right to left and I can rev the engine with out engaging the the lower unit if thats what you are talking about but I do not have a seperate lever. I understand you are trying to help me but why should I need to install a warm up lever if the quickstart feature is what thats for. Also any suggestions on why my timming doesnt move but the rpms drop when I ground out the wht/blk senor wire.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

I guess you've tried giving it a bit of throttle as you start it (which is what the warm up lever does)?<br /><br />Quickstart is controlled by the powerpack and doesn't operate for that long. It gets cancelled when the revs are higher than 1100rpm and when the motor reaches 105 degrees (at least in the later models). Since you have a new powerpack and the revs also drop when you ground the temp sensor it suggests that quickstart is working. Can't figure why you don't see a change in the timing though.

ob

Admiral

If your throttle cable trunion or idle timing screw is out of adjustment ,ie idle speed above 1100-1200 when started cold,you won't be able to tell whether the quickstart is engaged or not.It only raises the rpm maybe 150 or so for just a few seconds.Carb linkage out of adjustment holding one or more carb flaps slightly open at neutral throttle position can cause the same symptom.<br /><br />This is assuming that the T/stats and temp sensor are in good working order.<br /><br />Not every engine will respond well to cold starting after holding in on the key primer for 10 seconds before cranking over.Mine is one of them.Perhaps yours is flooding.I just pump up the fuel primer bulb until firm,and while pushing in on the key primer turn it to start until the engine fires and intermittedly push in on the key primer until the engine will idle on its own.

pursuit2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I set the timming. The motor fired right up after sitting all day. Quickstart is working when it warms up the idle rpms lower. But the timming still doesnt move with the timming light on it. Can it be that this test needs to be done in the water. But still if the rpms drop the timming should move. Well at lease I got it to fire right up on the first crank.