FIRST SPRING START

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, It is my first boat that I bought and it has a 2000, 200hp. yamaha saltwater EFI. I bought it in january so I have not started it yet and I need to know what to do before I start it? Thanks for any pointers.

D

DJ

Re: FIRST SPRING START

Make sure you have fresh fuel. Make sure the batteriess are charged up and connections clean and tight.<br /><br />After that, give it a go.

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I have to change the water separator of fuel filter. And do I need to prime anything? Thanks

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a good idea to change the fuel separator annually and changing the filter wouldn't hurt. Unless you have a separator with a see-thru bowl, you won't ever know when it's full of water.

ZmOz

Captain

A little 2 cycle oil squirted into each cylinder through the spark plug hole wouldn't be a bad idea...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Fresh fuel, prime the bulb 'till its rock hard, good strong fully charged battery, and it should start. It may have to crank for awhile at first, once it starts let it run at a fast idle for awhile, maybe five minutes max to get the innards fully lubed up before you hammer the throttle. Make sure water comes from the telltale (peehole) as well. Get on plane and cruise at part throttle, checking for water from the telltale and listen to the engine to make sure it is running smooth. If all sounds and feels good, have a good ol' time after that. Good luck....

vegasmoose

Recruit

Novice to boating, just bought an old boat (title says 1970 homemade) with a 1966 Johnson 40 hp motor, I know it needs work (hey, 500 bucks, if the motor runs, gotta be worth at least that, right?), my question(s) is/are, "What do I need to do before I get this thing to the water?"

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to engine faq, read awakening a sleeping outboard, outboard won't start, that is on page 2.

also this thread is 4 years old, start a new thread in the Johnson forum.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And you just hijacked a thread. In the future, please start a new one.