Hard starting, oil in cylinders

gpuzio

Recruit
I have a 96 130 HP Johnson 2 strole with VRO. If the engine sits more than a week it becomes difficult to start following the normal procedure of depressing the key to prime the engine. The longer it sits, the more difficult to start. When it eventually starts, it smokes a lot. In the spring, it is almost impossible to start the first time out. May mechanic has had to srart it for me the first time for several uears. He says the engine is ingesting oil and that there is too much in the cylinders. My question is, can the oil be leaking past the mixing pump into the cylinders while the boat sits? One spring, he told me the carbs were full of oil. From what I understand this could only happen if the marina is running the engine dry when they winterize it in the fall. Any ideas?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard starting, oil in cylinders

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />It can also happen if the oil tank is above the motor. Where is it?

gpuzio

Recruit
Re: Hard starting, oil in cylinders

In a rear compartment, level with the deck. Definitely below the motor. The boat is stored with the engine up. There is a pump bulb in the oil line. I assume there is pressure in this line. If so, could this pressure be forcing oil past the pump?