85 hp johnson hydroelectric

lajmap1204

Cadet
My 85 hp johnson is not getting fire into any plugs, tried removing yellow/black wires still nothing. (However I could not find any yellow or black wires leading directly into amplifier pack)..Any suffestions on what i should do next? Also, when throttle is in neutral proppeller is spinning, is this normal? Thanks in advance for your help - <br /><br />Melissa

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 85 hp johnson hydroelectric

This is the Non-repair forum, Melissa.<br /><br />I will move this to the Johnson trouobles/Repair forum.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There are many 85hp Johnsons out there. What year is yours?<br /><br />A hydrolectric shift system indicates that the 85hp would be in the 1968 to 1972 range. In this case, there is no black/yellow wire, and the test routine is quite different, as follows:<br /><br />(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.<br /><br />Pertaining to posting, see the notice to all posters at the top portion of the preceeding page. We need to know exactly what engine one is speaking of in order to give proper advice.

lajmap1204

Cadet

I am not sure what year the motor is, however the model number is 85ESL695, serial number: J3035751. If anyone knows where to find out what year it is that would be great because I could then get a manual as well. Thanks. Going to try the light bulb test for power pack now.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Joe Reeves:<br /> There are many 85hp Johnsons out there. What year is yours?<br /><br />A hydrolectric shift system indicates that the 85hp would be in the 1968 to 1972 range. In this case, there is no black/yellow wire, and the test routine is quite different, as follows:<br /><br />(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)<br />Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire). <br /><br />Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed. <br /><br />Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.<br /><br />Pertaining to posting, see the notice to all posters at the top portion of the preceeding page. We need to know exactly what engine one is speaking of in order to give proper advice.