Johnson Sea Horse Identification

mnrbs

Recruit
I have an old Sea Horse Model MS20, Ser.#411019. Would like to find the year and any other info about this motor. A small one cyl. engine with integral gas tank. I've had this motor for about 25 years, but haven't used it since about '83. Am fixing it up, has been stored inside and still runs pretty good. Thanks. Glad I found this web site.

ob

Admiral
Re: Johnson Sea Horse Identification

It's a 1941/42 1.5 hp engine Ray.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ray and Welcome,<br /><br />MS-20 shows your motor is a 1.5HP 1941-42 Model. Fuel mix would be 24:1, I believe. You might want to read this post about waking up a sleeping motor before you try to fire it up again. Let us know how it goes with the motor...<br /><br /> Awakening a sleeping outboard

mnrbs

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize it was that old. If the term can be applies to an old out-board, it is so "cute". I'll post how it went when I get thru the fix-up.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It doesn't have an impeller in the normal sense so when you start it up just make sure it's cooling properly. If the top of the engine block gets too hot to touch, or a bead of water on the cylinder head sizzels, it's getting too hot.<br />If it doesn't overheat, you should be good to go.