water in the cylinders 72 johnson 125

natedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was wanting to know if im over reacting.....I couldn’t get the motor to fire up so i pulled all the plugs out, thinking I had flooded the motor, and turned it over and water started spitting out of all four cylinders what could this be blown heads cracked cylinders. Any help would be nice..<br /><br />Thanks Nathan

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water in the cylinders 72 johnson 125

First of all, how much water was being discharged out of the cylinders?<br /><br />If it was a small amount out of each cylinder than try checking for water in the fuel that may have gotten into the fuel tank. You can crack a drain screw on one of the carbs, at the front on the float bowl. <br /><br />If there is a lot of water coming out than you may have a blown exhaust cover gasket. This could possibly alow water to enter all four cylinders. Check for water leaking past a screw or screws on the plate at the back of the powerhead, between the two heads.<br /><br />hopefully this helps.

natedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i went out there and look at it a little more and the head bolts were loose or were very easy to loosen so im thinkin thats the prob this motor needs new gaskets the previos owner must have had them off of it.......at least i dint pay too much for it....

natedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just out of intrest what is the ftlbs on those head bolts?

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The torque should be twenty foot ponds and done in a couple of stages. First snug them up, then torque to ten foot pounds and then to a final torque of twenty. If you replace the head gaskets this also gives you a chance to have a good look at the cylinders.

natedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya thats what i was wanting to thanks for the info