turning motor by hand.

mgrimm1

Cadet
how easy should it be to turn the flywheel on a evinrude 40 hp 1989 vro? the reason i ask is that i seen one for sale, stop to look at it and was able to turn it over easily by just turning the flywheel. dont want to buy a comp. tester if this indacates very low compression. or is there a compression release for pull starting?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: turning motor by hand.

Hard to say over the web Mike. You should be able to "feel" each cylinder coming up on the compression stroke. The best way is to borrow a compression testor and do it the right way.<br /><br />Owner know of any problems with the engine?

mgrimm1

Cadet

the owner says runs good. had it on a pontoon in a small lake behind home. looks almost new under cowling.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Get a ride. See how she does through the throttle range. Maybe ask if you could take it to a wrench for a look see??

mgrimm1

Cadet

its not on the boat anymore,it is a little bit of a ways from my home and i dont want to waste too much time. i was working when i saw the motor and didn't have alot of time to spend on it. when i turned the flywheel i could feel the pressure build and then release but it was not as hard as i would have thought to turn over a two cylinder motor. i just dont want to drive 120 mile round trip on a motor that is worn out

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well Mike....I would not advise anyone to buy an engine without at least getting the basic test done....compression, spark and lower unit. Just to much to chance.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

You can get a decent compression tester and spark tester, for around $30.00 or so, for both. Then you'll allways have them. Trust me, if you plan on having outboards ,for long ,they'll see the light of day again. I dont put alot of faith ,in compression numbers thrown at me by a seller. There are too many variables , in the way the tests are performed. I want to see it for myself.Alot cheaper then buying a lemon.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /> KYHunter :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, a compression tester can easily pay for itself in a hurry by keeping your money in your wallet in the event the motor is a dud....<br />- Scott