Trim Tilt replacment for 92 V8 Johnson

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello<br /><br /> I am having to replace the TT on a recently purchase Johnson V8. The old one will be destroyed in the process of removal due to having to cut the last bolt off.<br /> I bought a pretty good unit on eBay but the motor is a 3 wire and the original is a 2 wire.<br /> I read a couple of articles last night about having to use a relay switch with the 3 wire units.<br /> Does anyone know if I will need to install the relays for the two wire system I have in place now? I would just switch out the motors but the one I'm getting is in so much better condition than the one I'm removing.<br /><br />Thanks for the help in advance!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim Tilt replacment for 92 V8 Johnson

Welcome to iboats MarkIV!<br /><br />You would have been much better off in getting a two wire motor as the motors are controled differently.<br /><br />The two wire motor is operated by switching polarity between the two wires. The key here is getting the negative side to ground which is done through the relays.<br /><br />The three wire is already has a ground wire and all your doing is either putting "+" side of the battery to either the green or blue wire going to the motor.<br /><br />At this point, thinking about the set up and not having a schematic to look at, I'm not sure wether or not you could disconnect the grounding side of the relays and get it to work like that or not. I'll have to look at a print.<br /><br />Maybe one of the other guys will know and chime in here.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Don't use the three wire motor. They use alot more amps and require a solenoid to actuate. You can swap a two wire motor onto the older tnt

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks much for the replies and the welcome… I thought the 3 wire would be a little more involved to convert over. Murphy’s Law dictates things that seem simply like just grounding the third wire never apply. This kinda confirms. I think the best thing to do is to take the old two wires from the unit on the boat and switch it over. It’s got some surface rust but works fine. A little scraping, red led or zinc chromate and a good covering of paint will fix that.<br /><br /> Want to ask some of the experts about reconnection of the VRO system but probably should start a new topic for that. (I know the pros and cons…) Just the V8 has two units and the plumbing is not clear in the manual.<br /><br />Thanks again for the experienced advice!!