Engine stays engaged

killdog

Recruit
I have a 1970 Johnson, Wiseco 60 hp engine. When I start the engine (in Neutral) the prop is already engaged. Also, when I put it in reverse the it goes forward. I have adjusted the throttle cable to the lowest level to keep the engine running, but the prop keeps turning. What should I do?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine stays engaged

Welcome aboard Josh!<br /><br />You probably already know that your engine is an electric shift....right?<br /><br />OK....the gear case defaults to forward gear when the power is shut off or for some reason power is lost to the shift switch or the solenoids go bad. This will at least get you home. Once the engine starts, the gear case should go into neutral. If the prop is SLOWLY turning, taking for granted your starting on muffs, it's just probalby the inertial effect of the oil in the gear case slowly turing the prop. If it was in the water, the prop most likely would not turn.<br /><br />Now taking into account the the gear case goes into forward when you shift into reverse, your wires to the gear case could be reveresed. There will be two wires, a green and blue (green forward....blue reverse) going to the gear case from the engine pan on the starboard side. You will see them where they are connected from the rubber boots covering the knife connectors.<br /><br />Check them and make sure they are correct.<br /><br />Has there been any maint done on the lower unit lately? Is this a new engine to you? What type of gear lube are you using....it should be BRP Premium Blend or a lube specifically for electric shifts. Any history on the engine will help in determining any problem.

killdog

Recruit

Thanks for the help. The engine is new to me, and I did not purchase it from the person who last operated it, so I know no history.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Gotta know -- why do you say this is a Wiseco motor?

killdog

Recruit

Because that is what is on the engine case cover -this is my first boat - Should I just say its a Johnson?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

So there is a Wiseco sticker on the hood?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Maybe someone stuck a Wiseco sticker on it. Wiseco is an outfit that sells aftermarket rebuild stuff like pistons, Killdog.<br /><br />Maybe what ya' need to do is get a manual for your engine Killdog.....preferably an OEM manual. It'll show you what you need to know about the engine and how to troubleshoot problems. If ya' are interested, search up Ken Cook Co., outboardwizard or ishopmarine. They all sell reprints of the original OEM manuals. You'll need the model number off the engine also.

killdog

Recruit

I learn something new everyday...I will get a manual. Thanks for your help.