impellor trouble

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My father in law and i got out an out outboard that has been seting for years cranked up fine but it was not circulating water so we took it apart as the impellor was out thought from dryrot over the years.<br /><br />Motor is a 1962 ( from the model # cant remember the # but it is the second for that year) Its a long shaft 5.5 hp. I was not there when he tried to take it apart. <br /><br />I read what others have posted as of how to do this, and he got it to fall down about 1 in he said but can not see any bolt or anything to release the LU.<br /><br />Question is what should be our next step.<br /><br />-Nate

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: impellor trouble

Not sure about yours, but on later models, you need to disconnect the shift linkage up by the powerhead. Look under the cowling. There should be a shift shaft heading down into the L/U. Other more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you out.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Dave

DHPMARINE

Captain

I don't have the manual here,but on the exhaust housing (connects the powerhead to the LU)there is probably an oval cover attatched by 2 screws.The shift linkage is located there.<br /><br />DHP

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the link have not had a chance to visit it yet and the info for under the cowl. The real problem exists because i am a relay man. The motor is at my father in laws shop 35 miles from me and i have not had a chance to mess with it with him yet.<br /><br />I looked at my service manual for my 70' rude 25hp and on the phone while he looked described the oval plate to him to disconnect the shift lever. He said he did not see and plate loking like that with two screws holding it in. I'm aware of this plate on mine but did not look for it on this motor last week while were were playing with it.<br /><br />I will tell him to look under the cowl around the shift rod though. Thanks for the help so far.<br /><br />-Nate

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

First sentence in the link I posted:<br /><br />"In order to get to the impeller, you have to take off the power head , disconnect the shift linkage, and take off the lower unit".

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry forgot about the link as i was in a hurry when i first read it. im lookin at it now!<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />-nate

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The link is not working. Says cannot find server. Will keep trying.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i got the link to work.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />-Nate