Electric Starter Cog

Dan Filzen

Recruit
The starter cog on my 1989 30 hp Johnson is worn and no longer engages the flywheel. What do I need to remove so that I can replace the old cog? I have a new one, but can't get the old one off.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric Starter Cog

Should just be a nut on top of the pinion gear. That and the spacer and spring underneath that. Is that what you have?

I think I have the same problem... I have a 40hp Evinrude...not sure what year, I know it's 1980-something. Anyways, when I go to start it (its an electric start) the teeth keep slipping. I'm a first time boat owner, and a mechanical moron. Where do I get that part, and what is it called? Everything else runs amazingly well. But the teeth on the starter are worn to nubs, and my engine will only start on the fiftieth try.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You might want to make sure the battery is fully charged and all cells are good. Any auto store can load test it for you. A weak battery will prevent the Bendix (that's what its called) will spin up the starter shaft so it will either grind away or fail to engage at all. Next, make sure the grooves in the starter shaft are clean. You can turn the Bendix by hand to make it climb the shaft so you can clean beneath it. Then give it try. Next, make sure the battery cables (both ends) are clean and tight. Simply looking at them doesn't cut it. Disconnect them, buff them and battery posts clean and shiny and then reconnect them. Make sure there is no corrosion where the wires go into the battery cable terminal ends. If this process still doesn't help, installing a new Bendix very likely won't either as the starter is probably in need of rebuild. However, the Bendix is cheaper than the starter so go for it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Catch 'em all <br /><br />It is officially called the drive assembly, but sometimes better known as the starter pinion gear(Bendix). Various places have them, including a Johnny/Evinrude dealer, as well as online. I don't believe iboats carries them, but here is someone who does. You will need your model number and year of the motor...<br /><br />ishopmarine.com

Thanks Upinsmoke and Rick! The battery is brand new. As far as the other stuff you recommended, I'll check that all out a.s.a.p.! The teeth on the bendix are completely rounded off at this point. It raises up the shaft and engages every time, but the teeth slip and it falls, still spinning. So I hope simply replacing that will help! Thanks again!

chris abela

Seaman Apprentice

check that you diddnt grease the rubber beneath the teeth. Learning from my mistake

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear it worked out, Catch 'em all....