Trim Tilt Motor Replacement

SATCHER

Cadet
I have been watching the trim motor covers rust away now for a few years (salt water). Motors still work but likely to quit any time now. Twin 1998 90HP E90SLECM FASTRAK T/T SYSTEM. Lined up ARCO replacements motors. Fearing the worst I removed the snap rings from the lower Pivot Pin and tried to get movement. NO GO! Is it common for these pins (one lower & one upper) to freeze up? Any suggestions how to free these pins? And will the Pivot Pin Bushings need to be replaced in the process? <br />Thanks :confused: :confused:

SATCHER

Cadet
Re: Trim Tilt Motor Replacement

Walker, Thanks for finding this. I searched for this info early this morning as advised by the powers that be. I obviously blew it. Do you know if the bushings survive this operation? Once again you have rescued me from a bad day on the water.<br />Thanks<br />JD<br />1998 22' Glacier Bay

Walker

Captain

They should onless you have to apply copious amounts of heat. I've never had any trouble driving out the top pin. Read that other thread carefully about not mushrooming the pin.

SATCHER

Cadet

I'm on it. I will post results the beginning of the week.<br />Thanks Again<br />JD

Bruce Alan

Cadet

JD, my 2 cents worth: As the experts advised me, heat the metal around the pin,not the pin. You'll need a good torch. propane won't do it. Go back and forth from port to starboard heating as evenly as you can. I did it by myself but, a partner on the punch would have helped. <br /><br />One more thing: make careful note of the routing of the wires all the way from their connections under the shroud. There are a lot of potential pinch points.

SATCHER

Cadet

Worked like a charm. I used MAPP gas cylinder for heat. On the shelf at The Depot. This gas burns hotter then Propane. Comes in yellow tank right next to the blue propane tank. Alternated heat twice each side to metal around upper pins.Tapped right out with 6lb.hammer & punch. I could not get the manual release to budge. No visible corrosion. I did notice a blowup detail in my Clymer manual showing reverse threads. Are the threads on the manual release screw reversed? <br />Thanks Gents<br />JD

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Not to butt into you and Walkers discussion, but,(no pun intended ;) ) The threads are standard right hand threads on the manual release valve. Good job on the pin. I never got mine out on my old 83 J90 :(

SATCHER

Cadet

I did not have any luck with the manual release valve on either motor. Was able to take apart without the use of the valve. It would be nice to have it working in case of emergency. If I were starting with new motors I would make it a point to operate these screws during my annual maintanence. Live and learn.<br /> <br />Thanks Dave<br />JD