Proud new owner of old 1971 40E 71B 40HP

Coleman1977

Cadet
Ok, now that I am the new owner, I have a question. I've done the usual stuff - drained lower unit (no water/metal), dropped lower unit and inspected water pump (looks brand new/very flexible)checked plugs and very good compression too. All signs that she is in good shape.<br /><br />On this model, when I get her running and up to normal temp, how much water should I expect to see from cooling system water exit hole? My newer Merc (can I say that here?)had a steady stream from the exit hole. Will the Johnson have that or a trickle or something else?<br /><br />I HAVE to ask for comfort as I had a bad experience on a Johnson about 10 years ago where the water pump went out while I was going down the lake and by the time the engine shut off from heat she was "well done".<br /><br />Thanks for any replies!<br /><br />Coleman

G DANE

Commander
Re: Proud new owner of old 1971 40E 71B 40HP

WOW a fine 1971 !! Not a bad age for a girl.<br /><br />I dont remember if the 71 had a tell-tale outlet showing that the water pump pumps water. If I dont know for sure ( not by " wellll I'm sure I changed it one of the last years" ) that the impeller was changed within the last 2 years from the former owner, I always change them as a minimum. They will look fine to the second they start falling apart. The impeller looks flexible to the second it looses a vane and it takes most of the others with it squezing them in pump housing af 6000 RPMs a minute in a very tight space. Its close to the cheapest insurence you will get. Water pumps will function with a fresh impeller and an intact pump housing, and you will avoid bad experiences, like the one you had, by keeping up with preventive maintenance. Now to bash the Merc guys a little, try to compare the waterpump sizes on a johnson/evinrude to the ones on a merc !!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Test the overheat alarm if it has one. Your hand should get very wet in a few seconds back by the exhaust relief on the back of the motor. The water will be good and warm, but not distressingly hot.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Since a '71 40hp is a non-thermostat engine like the 33hp or 28hp, all the cooling water should exit the large hole on the back of the midsection along with the idle exhaust. It should really gush/spurt out of that hole within a few seconds of starting the engine. Click my Man-Next-To-House icon to get the idea.<br /><br />Replace the pump as a matter of course. The impeller alone is about $10, a kit a couple bucks more. If the housing is wrecked, a whole new pump costs about $50.<br /><br />EDIT: This shows it a bit better:<br /> http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06104/im000122.jpg

Coleman1977

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I am running in a barrel as soon as the weather clears to see what she looks like...and compare to your pic, Paul.<br /><br />Paul that's a great looking outboard!! I am interested in cleaning the engine block on mine as it is a great looking motor for the age, just needs some minor cleaning. What do you recommend? I have used "Engine Brite" degreaser on ATV engines before but it smoked a lot even after I rinsed thoroughly. Is there a special application product for marine engines?<br /><br />I really appreciate everyone's help on this board. I am in the process of bringing back to life a 1971 Tidecraft "Crappie" boat. It has been a lot of work but an enjoyable restoration. Thanks to all!! I owe you all a Crappie fishing trip anytime you are in the area!<br /><br />Coleman