considering used motor purchase Suzuki 85hp?

jpwatts

Recruit
Looking at a motor on ebay, owner has lots of positive feedback. It is a 1984 dt85 20" shaft. Includes the control box, wiring harnesses, ignition switch w/key. Serial #411893, model #DT-85. This motor has good compression in all cylinders. This motor started and ran very good in our tank. No problems with the idle or with throttle. This motor is ready to bolt up and go! Tilt and trim works great. The prop is also included. Price is about $1300. Does this seem OK, and how difficult is the installation process? Or should I pay someone to do the install? What problems occur if the hp rating is slightly higher than the boat rating?

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: considering used motor purchase Suzuki 85hp?

I have a DT85 as well, 1982 model. $1,300.00 sounds high for even that year due to problems with parts, dealer repair, corrosion, etc. Was it in the salt or fresh? Any cracks? Last impeller replacement? Any turned bolts, leaking hydrolic fluid, fuel lines? I have had several problems with my DT, the last one being electrical. Dealers do not want to work on them because they turn off bolts/screws and they tend to become more of a problem then not. The installation is not difficult depending on how the lines can be run to the control box, etc. The motor is quite heavy, so you will need strong helpers or a lift. At $1,300.00, it will also cost you for shipping, impeller, etc, so it sounds as though you may be into it for over $2,000.00 by the time you get to crank it up. You also did not say what type of boat you were going to put it on. Anything between 15 and 19, but it should be a lighter weight craft.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

D

DJ

newtosuzuki,<br /><br />That's a lot of $$$ for a 1984 engine. Especially if was used in saltwwater??<br /><br />thom is right about getting service for a Suzuki. Nothing particularly wrong with them, it's just that dealer service is spotty.

elcamino12sec

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 1989 dt85, which is basicaly the same as the one you are looking to purchase. I liked the motor and it ran well, always started up with no problem. It was on a 17'cc Angler, it planed well and went about 40mph. top speed. The carbs in those motors are very sensative, so getting them to idle smooth is a chor, but can be done. However, I agree with the other guys that the price is a little steep for a used motor that one has no real proof the it runs and runs well.<br />In addition, what they were saying about the bolts and such, Suzukis have always had those problems with the older motors. (bolts breaking) But again, you will never now what you got until it arrives, maybee 700.00-800.00 would be a fair price for that engine in my opinion. I bought my 89 angler w/ 85hp suz. with a trailer for 3000.00 a couple of years ago, and it was in tip top shape, but its your decition, just my 2 cents, good luck and happy boating.

phatmanmike

Captain

that price is really high...............