Thinking of trading motor, looking for opinions...

fishguy

Seaman
Hey folks.<br /><br />I hope this isn't violating any rules here, but I'm not looking to buy or sell..just looking for opinions..<br /><br />I have a little 15' runabout, with a 1975 20hp Evinrude in perfect shape (for a '75)..nothing broken or cracked, runs like a top, but isn't enough motor for me to take the family out. (Not quite enough to plane with all 4 of us in the boat, but works sweet with 2 people and fishing gear)<br /><br />I found a guy with a 71-73 35hp Evinrude, and it's too much motor for his boat...he's looking for a 20hp. (score!)<br /><br />His has had a couple paint jobs, with a brush, it looks like, but runs good. And has electric start and the hookups for a battery.<br />All my steering and cables will switch right over to his painlessly. <br /><br />I'm told that my motor is worth more than his and that I should maybe ask for some extra cash if I trade.<br /><br />I think that his being a couple years older, but having electric start pretty much balances things out....<br /><br />So...even trade..<br /><br />71-73 35hp Evinrude, no tiller handle (I don't need the handle), crummy looking pain, electric start<br /><br />for<br /><br />1975 20hp Evinrude, tiller handle, original paint, very good condition, no electric start<br /><br />What do YOU think?<br /><br />Thanks!! Andrew ><>

D

DJ

Re: Thinking of trading motor, looking for opinions...

Make the trade. Making it look pretty is fun and easy.

fishguy

Seaman

Update.....Turns out the 35hp is a bit older, like around a 64 or so...

D

DJ

Now that throws a wrench into it.<br /><br />If it runs good, it's still a very viable engine.<br /><br />I think I would ask to try it, on your rig, to see if it is going to fit your needs.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It must be earlier than that. 35hps were made from '57 to '59. Then they 'became' 40hps. Personally, I like the old big twins though.

BF

Lieutenant

Hiya,<br /><br />I think you'd be losing on an even trade. A good condition, good running 20 hp tiller should be easy to sell. I think there would be much less interest in an old 35 hp (50-60's vintage) and that would be reflected in the price he could get for it. If I were you, (and if funds are sufficient) I would watch for a mid to late 80's motor (40 or even 50 hp if your boat is rated for it). In the late 70's they switched from points/condenser to CDI ignition, and then I think there were a couple of short-lived versions of CDI in the early years. I'd buy a bigger one if it came around and then sell my 20 hp.<br /><br />If you're going to the trouble of buying & selling, I always prefer to move up some years.... buys you more time before the dealer tells you parts are unavailable because it's obsolete.<br /><br />My family had a 40 hp evinrude twin (late 60's model) when I was a kid (on 15' fiberglass) was OK, but once we got into skiing it got underpowered pretty quick. It always seemed to be a vibrating/rough running engine to me. It was a great day when Dad traded it in on a brand new 60 hp Johnson (~'80 or so). So if you see waterskiing/tubing in your future you might wanna go for a little more than the minimum to get you on plane right now.<br /><br />Hope that helps...<br />Brent

fishguy

Seaman

Well, the step up to a 35 from the 20 will make the boat usable for what it was intended...time together with the family....<br />right now we can't all go and have fun....well, we CAN all go, at idle.<br /><br />With the 35 we could go and have fun....get a tube, the kids could try some skiing...<br /><br />I'm just hesitant, since right now, "I know what I got"....would hate to get something that I spend more time fixing than using...<br /><br />But it seems to have been looked after good, although it's not too pretty what with the bad paint job and all.<br /><br />Only live once, and the 35 will let us have more fun than the 20....Just have to convince myself, is all.....

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Seriously try out this motor. Your slow top may still better than a more powerfull old poorly running motor.

Darryl34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does your boat have and tags on it?Their might be one telling you suggested h.p. rating?I personally would'nt bother with the 35 h.p.It probubly is not going to do what you want.I would be looking for a 60 or 70 hp.Although I have not seen your boat.My 16' calls for an 85 hp.I ended up putting a 115 h.p.Merc. on it to be useable.This is the same motor as the 90,hp merc.but more h.p.A noticible improvement for me.I would do some more checking first.Don't forget you have 4 ppl.fuel,battery,cooler skis,fishing gear,food,etc.etc.etc.

phatmanmike

Captain

would hate to get something that I spend more time fixing than using...<br />
thats part of the fun.. ask if you can try each motor for a week or so, then if you like em, keep em! <br /><br />i would not be scared of that old beast!!! that fact that its still kicken gives you some insight as to how strong those pups were<br /><br />mikey

BF

Lieutenant

Hiya,<br /><br />Funny how things go... I told you that I would look for something newer, and then yesterday I myself came across a 1970 25 hp that I am seriously thinking of buying! (that would potentially replace an '82 15 hp).... I'd keep the 15 at least until I trust the other... maybe even keep my good running little 15 for trolling.<br /><br />Price and electric start is attractive to me...<br /><br />Have you done the deal?<br /><br />Brent

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Back in the early 60-70s, you can pick up those old motors in good condition from 50hp down for $500 or less, if the 35 is what you want and runs good go for it, myself on a 15' runabout i would put 50 on it but that's just me.