Can a Fibreglass Boat get weak if not used for many years

Andycbr600f4i

Recruit
I recently had a 1973 Anchor 14 ft boat given to me. The boathas not been used and has been stored behind a barn uncovered for the last 12 years. I towed it home and pressure washed the outside and top of the boat, then removed the all of the interior as the sun and weather had destroyed all vinyl. The boat looks good with no visible damage, but I am worried the Fibre glass itself may have weakened as the boat is 32 years old. Also is a 1978 Johnson 70 to big for this boat. I would appreciate any help on this topic.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can a Fibreglass Boat get weak if not used for many years

I am not sure about the fiberglass hull, but I would check out the floor and transom for rot.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Everything eventually rots, fibreglass is no exception. Glass can be affected by osmosis and ozone degradation. Timber rots very quickly when exposed to water, timber is commonly used in the transom and subfloor (stringers). Was the bilge full of water/dirt/leaves for 12 years?<br /><br />Aldo

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would have to say that motor is to big for that boat. I have a 15' and the max hp is 35. There should be something on the boat telling you how much hp it can handle and the max weight or passengers.

CATransplant

Admiral

What is the construction and hull type of that boat. I can't find any info on Anchor boats. If it's a typical 14' glass runabout, I can pretty much guarantee that a 70 hp outboard is too big for it. Think 35 hp. Maybe 50 if the manufacturer's tag says that's OK.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I read somewhere that the time required for organic breakdown of fibreglass in the nature is estimated to be somewhere between 25,000 and 35,000 years....<br /><br />I am not saying your 32 year old boat should be in great shape after just 12 years of outside storage but, like these other guys say, the fibreglass will probably outlast the other components (i.e. wooden stringers, transom, foam liner, etc.).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

We always overpower boats in Alberta. It's the law here. If enough is good, more is better, and too much is just right! <br />The hull should be fine. As mentioned before, the floor and transom could be weak. Check the floor for soft spongy spots. As for the transom. look for hairline cracks in the gelcoat. These indicate flexing. Also with the motor locked in th up position, push down on the prop and watch to see if the transom flexes. If it does the transom might be rotting and should be replaced.

Andycbr600f4i

Recruit

The boat as been tilted so any water would run out the back, but the amount of leaves and dirt in the boat may have slowed the drainage process. I cannot see any cracks in the gelcoat except for the top covering. I was told by a friend today to cut a small square out of the floor to check the foam and floor, i can always fibreglass it back. Does anybody think this is a good suggestion. Also I met a fellow boater who has the same boat today and bought it new. He said the boat is rated for a 50 Hp. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.